• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Replacement Shell for XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

I was reading up on LiteStep after my cousin had praised it on his win98 box. Althought LiteStep works on WinXP, several people have said that it isn't the best option and if I ever want to go back completely, I would have to reinstall windows or just use a ghost image... Any thoughts on a replacement shellwhere I wouldn't have to do this? Perhaps better than litestep?

Thanx-
James

i also believe that the compatible offshoot from litestep called darkstep had some of there team attempting to create a install/uninstall routine for XP... Ive no idea if it was ever achieved though

For the coolest litestep and darkstep themes and addons look no further than Praxxis.. this is one seriously tallented themer
http://praxxis.net/

Hope I helped

definitely helped a bunch. Once I get a ghost image made just incase I screw something up, I will try geoshell.... Thanx again!

Ok something I don't understand.. Maybe I already had XP tweaked out and these shells are for normal users... But right now, my explorer shell uses 9mb of ram... I install litestep or any of the other mentioned shells and the shell jumps to 15-17MB of ram... Quite possibly I thought the new shell would do more than what it is supposed to. I thought I would free up ~30MB of ram, but no... Reasons or was I ok to start with?

I honestly dont think these shells can do much good on a tweaked system. I dont see how they can really shrink my 6.5mb explorer to anything lowerr then 5.0mb and then its just nonsensical because they usually sacrifice features

Ok.... That's what I figured. I guess I just misinformed myself as to what the are supposed to do. I mean the skins and such are cool as heck, but then it just drains more memory... Thanx though.

Ok.... That's what I figured. I guess I just misinformed myself as to what the are supposed to do. I mean the skins and such are cool as heck, but then it just drains more memory... Thanx though.

Back