• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best amd cpu for overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clansman

iam a newbie to this form and i was woundering, whats the best
amd cpu to over clock.
Iam not looking to spend a lot of money so basically i'll be looking
at around a 2600xp, but iam not sure what make or model to get.

could some one point out the best one for clocking...

thanks
clansman

For your price range i would get the 2500+ barton for the best overclocker and it has the added extra cache. That would most likely be the best bang for your buck in that range.

-Rich

Well, the best ones are the 1700s or the new 1800s in terms of the amount of overclock you can get. You'll need good RAM (at least PC3200) and a good mobo (ABIT NF7 series is great). The new 1800s have been going up to 2.7 GHz on air, but I'm not sure where you can get them. The 1700s can go up to 2.6 GHz on air. Those situations, however, are best case scenarios. More likely, you'll get between 2.35 and 2.5 GHz on air with an 1800 or 2.3-2.45 with a 1700. The 2500 Barton's are a little more difficult, some can get up to 2.5 or so on air, others top out around 2.2. The bartons extra cache isn't that much of a performance increase, so a Barton at around 2.3 GHz is close to a T-Bred at 2.4. The extra cache is generally worth 100 MHz, so I'd say an 1800 would give you better performance for cheaper. You can get them for around $60, make sure it's a T-Bred B and a DLT3C.

yeap iam getting the Abit NF7 and ddr pc3200 ram.

when i say
The new 1800s have been going up to 2.7 GHz on air
u mean with a fan not a water cooler?

where will i beable to find that code? cos i'll be buying online and wont be able to see the chip.

i just seen the amd forum so if there is a mod around could u move this thread to the amd one, as i feel i might get more replys
thanks

2.6 GHz? Oh ya? Prime95 12 hour Torture Test no errors stable, or boots into Windows stable? @ what voltage & cooling?

There's the usual, 1700+ TbredB's, 2500+ Barton's AXQEA and other steppings. Apparently people have gotten then hands on the DLt3C 1800+'s and they're going quite high even at near stock voltages. You should be happy with any of these chips. Hell, my 2400+ even goes to 2.2ghz from 2ghz on stock voltage. TBredB's are so cool :p

the nick "clansman" comes form the song fomr iron maiden call the clansman. I'm not scottich, iam irish :)

meh... all the good ones were on the first seven albums... every single song from those first seven is better than anything released afterwords... Back to overclocking... what did you decide for RAM & cooling?

It strikes me odd that the barton 2500+ does not overclock better than the T-bird B. Anyone have a reasonable explanation?

The extra cache increases the length of the die so signals have to travel further, so you can't run it as fast because the ends will lose sync? I dunno - Plus the fact that the Barton is relatively new so not as many core steppings have been made, refining the design and smoothing out flaws.

Back