• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not so funny....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

druidelder

So, the other day my roommate decided he was going to unlock his processor (a 1500+). He was about to take it out of his system when he decided he wanted to check something quickly. So he turned the system on and immediately held the power button down to shut it down.

I'm sure you can already guess the rest of the story. The hsf was not attached at this point, and even though the system was only on for a few seconds the cpu died. In fact, the system shut down from the cpu failing before it shut down from holding the power button.

I know this is an old story and most people here know it well, maybe too well, but I thought it couldn't hurt to have a reminder for newer members. Never turn your AMD system on without the hsf attached (unless of course you really want to buy a new processor).

The funny (or is it sad) part is that this was before the cpu got out of the system to have the bridges modded. He was worried that the magnifying glass wasn't good enough to do the mod and that the chip might get screwed up. Irony....

I could never really see myself making that mistake - seems such a stupid thing to do...but im sure one day ill be in here looking for a shoulder to cry on when it happens to me, probably just a matter of time now...

:santa2:

stufff happens ;d though it would prob be wiser to play wiht the heatsink out of the mobo =d this way when you put the mobo back in you'll notice that hte hs is not on =d

I made the mistake of turning down my Enermax fan too low....
things started smelling
the screwdriver fell on the floor...
I thought it would smoke by the time I had the fan back up and running...but I was saved...although I cant hit 2Ghz now.. :(

gamer004 said:
why would anyone do that??

They underestimate the amount of heat that such a small chip can generate in such a short time. If you don't have a non-trivial understanding of what's inside the chip, it's hard to believe that something so tiny could get so hot so fast. Even oven elements (which are similar to CPUs if you know only that both produce heat very well) take a couple of seconds to get too hot to touch.

Of course, if you know the first thing about CPUs, it's obvious that a second without an HS/F will kill the chip.

Why can't we figure out some way to use the processor heat to build smaller heaters? Or better ones? We could take that chip and multiply its size by about 40 and put some strong fans over it, then throw it in a car. Well, maybe a space heater instead of a car heater. Car's just blow some air off of the engine inside to the cambine after filtering it.

Back