• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling idea...What u think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cheba63

Hi, it is really hot in my room and my comp is gettin hot too... I was just wondering if I should get like a small house fan and take a side off the case and have the fan blowing into my case. Do you think thats a good idea? Please lemme know soon! Thanks!

yes

thats what my freind dows like 365 days a year

Really...idk how that is cuz I get much cooler then the room temp when I am in front of that fan. I thought it would work great for cooling, just wasn't quite sure if it was safe.

cheba: You feel cooler in front of the fan for two reasons: 1. the water in your skin (it's always there; microscopic sweat in essence) evaporates which cools you, 2. nerve endings which sense temperature actually sense change in temperature - if your body is getting cooler you feel cold, if your body is getting hotter you feel warm. To prove this, run one hand under hot water for a while, then run both hands under cool water. You'll notice that the hand that was in the hot water feels significantly cooler.

As for your computer, there is nothing to evaporate, and you're aiming to lower the absolute temperature. Thermodynamics says that when two substances make contact (in this case the air and your processor HSF), the temperature of the hotter object cannot drop below the temperature of the cooler substance.

All you are doing is pulling air from somewhere else. You have to remember that humans sweat and they percieve that the air is cooler but all it is is convective cooling. The air temp is the same. Machines do not experience wind chill. I bet if you took your thermometer and stuck it in front of the fan and took a reading, then in back of the fan and took a reading, the readings would be within a few °F of one another. Just my 2 cents

I did it! It lowered my temps down by 8c... i was able to get higher overclocked speeds too! 70mhz increase :p i know its now much but considering that my cpu maxes out already at 3.2 its pretty good.
Worth a try.. won't harm do u any harm.. and besides, its quieter than getting case fans intaking and exhausting air out of your case!

cheba63 said:
Hi, it is really hot in my room and my comp is gettin hot too... I was just wondering if I should get like a small house fan and take a side off the case and have the fan blowing into my case. Do you think thats a good idea? Please lemme know soon! Thanks!

Over time this question has been asked and two things you need to ask yourself are:

• Do I have Pets (pets and PC innards don't always mix) :(
  • When you vacuum all the dust from the new house fan blowing all the dust into your 'Puter', make sure you turn off the pc :)

If your case has a good air circulation this mod will actually suck. The case open means more dust in PC, more noise in your room and it looks ugly (Plus exposing my butt to a permanent breeze makes me personally kind of ill :)) . If you have a small and poorly ventilated case, this mod may work wunders, but 120 mm fans could also. :D

cheba63 said:
Really...idk how that is cuz I get much cooler then the room temp when I am in front of that fan.

ROFL

i don't suggest if you have cats or dogs... i'm getting sick of this heat btw.

Back