• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 1800+ vs 1700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nick Burns

Your company's computer guy
I have been hearing that the newer 1800+'s are doing a little better than the 1700+'s. Are they as reliable as the 1700+'s are? Do they really go higher, on average, than the 1700+'s? I am about to buy a 1700+ from Excalibur and I was wandering if I would be better off with an 1800+.

well on average I would say the 1800+'s are doing better....but that s obviously because their are like a gagillion more 1700+'s on this forum then 1800+'s......essentially the 1700+ and 1800+ are the same processor......(if stepping is the same of course).......the thing is you just gata get lucky to get yourself a good 1800+ or be near a fry's;).....otherwise the guarunteed good stepping at excaliberpc.com is a great deal.......I can only take a stab at why the 1800+'s are doing so well.....and I would say that either they are newer and they did something diff with the chips at amd....or they have been proven at amd to be more stable hence the 1800+ rating instead of 1700+ which means they are proven more stable at ahigher speed....thus the 1800+'s are another weed out of great chips.....like the JIUHB is one weed out then the DLT3C is another way to tell it's a great chip....then 1800+ is like the best of the 1700+'s hence the next weed out of greater chips.....thus more people hitting 2.5gHz plus.....this is totaly a guess....I hope I was clear...I am watching someone play san fransico rush 2049 and they keep saying HEY HEY HEY HEY check this out check this out.....so it's kinda hard to focus on what I am typing:D

**EDIT** I know what the actual diff is between the 1700 and 1800 is I am just saying AMD may have found them more stable hence let them run at a higher speed...hence more overclockability.....if the post before was not clear:D

What is FRY's? Is it a store? Is that their full name? What is their website? So I am better off with a garaunteed 1700+ JIUHB DLT3C over a 1800+ from some other store that doesn't have a garaunteed stepping?

Fry's electronics is like a best buy.....but really big......if not from there get the 1700+ from excaliberpc.com.....anywhere else is a huge gamble

Fry's is a huge electronics chain store. (Huge as in each store, not as in many locations.)

I know they're in California (Si Valley) and now in Austin, Tx (Si gultch). I don't know if they're in Kansas. Their web site is www.outpost.com but I wouldn't buy your CPU from the web site since stepping is not known. I bought an 1800+ from the store in Austin because others in the area posted their find and I could be fairly sure the stepping would be good. (It was.) They're selling them for $45. A good deal.:cool:

i had a 1700 and it was awsome got it to 2.4 without any probs might have gone higher if nephew would have spilled juice on/in my case. oops :-( thats what you get when you have openings lol oh well back up now with a potential overclocker the 2500+ barton.

on second though maybe go with the 1800, you may get an awsome stepping and have good oc luck. ya never know

As for the Tbred B 1700+ and 1800+, as long as they are DLT3C (1.5 V rated Vcore), I consider they are the same in terms of CPU frequency and temperature behavior with voltage. Since the internal transistor characteristics should be of the same kind, i.e. with lower transistor threshold voltage due to silicon process variation. That is why they can run at same level of speed (MHz) as the other Tbred B, but with 100-150 mV less voltage. As a result, a head start on overclocking, and potentially 100-200 MHz more at 1.9-2 V. But they would dissipate more power and current (higher leakage) and hence running hotter and requiring more demand on cooling.

As for picking stepping, week code, 4 letter code, it is as difficult or as easy as picking the Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C, ....

Why the 1700+ can run so fast at low Vcore?

I think the key here is that the manufacturing process is maturing - as it evolves AMD increases up the experience curve with its processors and is better placed to fully understand the tweaks necessary to improve yields and make processors liable to clock higher. This is the case with processors of whatever speed, therefore I wouldnt say the XP1800 is better than the XP1700 if they are manufactured at the same time but it is probably because the XP1800's are newer than the XP1700's we have seen - something Treepop has pointed out.

Maybe I can drive down to Texas and go looking through their CPU's and find the best stepping of the bunch and then drive back up to Kansas just to save about 20 bucks. lol

Nick Burns said:
Maybe I can drive down to Texas and go looking through their CPU's and find the best stepping of the bunch and then drive back up to Kansas just to save about 20 bucks. lol

If you do so, make sure they have something in stock. Otherwise, time and gasoline, ...:p

I was kidding, I would spend at least the $20 on gas alone, plus it would be a waste of time. That would be horrible if I drove all that way and then they were out of them.

there is one in Houton too...go to outpost.com and look for locations :D......if memory serves me I got mine in H-tizzle(Houston ;))....I hope I didn't say AUstin before....heh:beer:

**EDIT**
O SHANG NAMIT I DID SAY I GOT IT IN AUSTIN! I am so used to living in San Marcos I forgot I was visting my parents and went to the Houston location...DOH!....well it's a good thing people got the same one as me......which makes me think either all fry's will have the good steppings....OR!...all the Fry's in Texas.......hrm......if Fry's retail has em....ya think outpost.com will have em.....guess someone could try and report...heh:D

Last edited:
Yikes! I went to the Austin store and took the gamble based on your experience on getting a good 1800 there. I'm sure glad I got one similar to yours. I'll be testing it this weekend!

uh man.... that really bites.... you got yours in houston? and Not Austin? man. dude..... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man!

I'm sure they'll sell you anything you want to buy from them, but it's unlikely they'll gaurentee any stepping on any of their cpu's.
big warehouse of electronics, no personalization of products for specific customers.

my xp1800 dlt3c hits a wall at 2.2ghz. still think they are better than 1700's?

Of course not - they are identical cores - meaning they both have their super-chips and their bum-chips.

Here's mine xp1800 from FRY's electronics , Austin, Tx.
XP1800 0322 JIUHB

Processor #1 : AMD Athlon XP (Model 8) / 605195A6
Platform : Socket A (Socket 462)
Vendor String : AuthenticAMD
CPU Type : Original OEM Processor (0)
Family : 6 (7)
Model : 8 (8)
Stepping ID : 1 (1)
Brand : ----
APIC : ----
HT Log.CPU Cnt : ----
Name String : AMD Athlon(tm)

Internal Clock : 2405.46 MHz
System Bus : 267.27 MHz DDR
System Clock : 133.64 MHz
Multiplier : 18.0

L1 I-Cache : 64K Byte
L1 D-Cache : 64K Byte
L1 T-Cache : ----
L1 Cache : ----
L2 Cache : 256K Byte
L2 Speed : 2405.46 MHz (Full)

Host Bridge : 1106:3189.00 [VIA Apollo KT400]
South Bridge : 1106:3177.00 [VIA VT8233A]
VGA Device : 10DE:0251.A2 [NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400]
Memory Size : 512M Byte

James, your 1800xp was good at that time of production on the core... New cores coming out, and it seems to be doing well. I"m a proud owner of two of these little demons... testing out on 133FSB to get a good feel for when I can get it up on the nforce2 board. this one is boots up stable @ 2200MHz (133x16.5) on vcore 1.525.... not bad at all.

Back