• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

too many partitions WTF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fiji

ok i have gentoo linux installed on my secondary computer

i have 3 partitions---
1 boot 100mb
2 swap, 512mb
3 main 10gb

and this is on a 20 gb hdd

so i go to install windows xp

and then when it asks me, do you want to create a new partition adn what not?

i hit yes, create new partition

and it says max partitions! thats so ****ing lame, i know thats not the max

4 is the max, unless you make a extended partition or whatever the hell its called

can anyone help me, with my winblows dillema?

and im almost 100% sure, windows only uses 1 partition...

any help here is much appreciated

ahhhh but isnt there like a DOS or boot partition. . . or a hidden boot partition. . . . its been a while since i loaded up linux on a bare drive. the other option is dont create a new partition during winXP install. . . use and exsisting partition and select the unused/unallocated space. . . with Windblows who know what it could be . . . and does not the boot area for WinXP need to be below cylinder 1024? . . . some thoughts for you

good luck

i dont think it does....

hmmm

ill check

Last edited:
KraziKid said:

One piece of advise, you'll get more help if you don't call Windows "winblows".

no, typo :p lol

no it really does blow

im serious

if you thinnk about it...

now just think for a minute... does windows suck compared to other os? (linux, bsd, os x etc)

...........yes
the only thing it has that is better than all of the other *nix os's
is that alot more software (games in particular) is developed for windows

the only reason im even installing it, is because they dont have america's army 1.9 out for linux... yet lol

ok, well im gunna stop on my window$ rant, before i spend all night typing a 5 page essay lol

that reminds me, gotta get crackin on the summer reading essay

What I did for my Gentoo setup was that I premade the sized partitions in Windows with Partition Magic, then cleared all 4 partitions.
When I went to install Win2k, it showed the 1st 3 partitions were unknown, and the 4th was NTFS (I premade it). Now I have both OSes going on 4 primary partitions, appears to be working great.

hmm cool, i dont know much about partition magic

but can it work on a boot disc/cd

or is it gui only?

fiji said:

no it really does blow

im serious

if you thinnk about it...

now just think for a minute... does windows suck compared to other os? (linux, bsd, os x etc)

...........yes

seriously I was going to help............................

Back