• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Decision..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seer33

im building a new xp2500/nf7-s system and i have the following choices for ram:

2x256 buffalo pc3200 winbond ($98 shipped) ch-5
2x256 twinmos pc3200 winbond (118 shipped) ch-5
2x256 buffalo pc3700 winbond (125 shipped) bh-5
2x256 Mushkin pc3700 Lvl2 black (not sure on price)
2x256 pc3700 OCZ Dual Gold ($228)

Bang for buck is the name of the game, if the 3700 gold is by far the best performer thenid be happy to gowith it, but if the buffalo can perform on par, then so be it! Guys i need input o_O. I've read somewhere someone got the twin mushkin lvl2 black for like 135$, if i could find a deal like that, id pounce on it. Anyhow guys help me out!

btw i currently have pc3200 corsair xms 512 stick and its teh sux.

there's a person selling new twinmos PC3700 for 140 for 2x256 in some other forums, maybe xtremesystems.org or something like that, if your really interested i'll dig through and try to find it. With that RAM your chipset will be the limiting factor and you won't go blowing 220+ on RAM, or if you want to be more conservative go for PC3200...it all depends on how high you want to go, if 200 is fine for you then don't get PC3700.

i dont really like the fact that the new twinmos doesnt have the winbond chips tho...they use that TMD stuff and i hear it doesnt work as good, i like the ocz gold looks, and is the mushkin black actually black?

if u nwanna run 220 get some of the mushkin or corsair stuff that will run tight timings. the real fast ocz adata would be a waste cause it needs loose timings and is designed for the 800 fsb canterwood chipset

If bang for the buck is truely the name of your game, then you really missed out on the Mushkin deal about 2 weeks back.

They offered 256MB DDR400 Black Level 2 for $75 a pop. When the sale was added with their 10%-off coupon, and free shipping, then you could have gotten 2x 256MB (512MB total) for only $135 shipped right to your front door. Alas this deal ended August 3rd, and their last great deal ($274 for 1GB Duel-Pack DDR400 Black Level 2) lasted only two days.

The buffalo PC3700 has been for sale for quite a while now, and Buffalo did not have as many BH-5 chips in stock as Mushkin does now. So if you do decide to buy it, you might end up with overclocked CH-5 chips (it depends on batch) instead of overclocked BH-5 chips.

yeah thats the mushkin deal i woulda liked to see, but hey where do these deals occur, im wanna keep my eyes pealed

****tttt the pc3500 stuff is rated 222 @ 433 thats elite! that stuff could probably reach 460 fsb pretty tightly

All the deals show up at Mushkin.Com. You can try calling them in advance asking for future possible deals. They have the all-time best customer support, as well as top products. The only thing against them is the fact that they have to go out and buy their chips, but they are working on that ;)

While the PC3500 Black Level 2 has that gaurentee to run at 216MHz at 2-2-2 (if it don't, and it's not your mobo/pro fault, you can send it back), all Black Level 2 (3200+) use the same Winbond BH-5 chips. So if you could do 230MHz with the PC3500 you could prolly do it just the same with the PC3200 Black Level 2.

I didnt want to start another thread so i'll ask for some buying advice which is kinda related to the topic...

Im working on a system with a NF7-s mobo as well. For the system im looking for some 512mb sticks of pc2700. After reading so many posts/reviews/concerns, i cannot seem to determine what brands are going to be compatable. I was looking at the kingston value ram because on the Abit website kingston is listed as supported, but many people report that it does not work well. Im trying to stay around 80-90bucks per chip; if anyone could help me find some memory that will work with the NF7-s i'd be grateful.

Sorry for changing the focus of the thread...

Peter

well buffalo pc3200 w/ good chips are like $98 a stick at newegg, id say id go for that if i was you

Back