• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you need same chips to run dual channels?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

therudyq3

OK I was told that I need to have same mem chips i.e. BH-5 and BH-5 to run dual channels

How true is this? or is it just simply that you can't run as fast in dual channels as you do in single.

In single channels I was able to run at :
195 fsb X 18
ratios 1:1 at 2 2 2 5
Buffalo PC3700 at 2.8V

In dual where I have a BH-5 stick and a BH-6 stick I can't even run at 195fsb with above setting...

Heck! I can't even do 190 fsb in prime to last longer than a minute.

So the question is...is it the chips or is it just dual channels?

Thx

what board do you have? its a definate plus to have matched chips when in dual channel, but its not a requirement.

The BH-6 is PC2700 or DDR333 memory so you can only get that speed.

It will work in dual channel but you will only go as fast as the slowest module.

-Bobby

The_Jizzler said:
what board do you have? its a definate plus to have matched chips when in dual channel, but its not a requirement.

uuhh Sorry...I have:
IS7 latest BIOS
Buffalo windbonds 1 512 MB BH-6 and 1 512 MB BH-5
P4 2.4B
Radeon 8500 RETAIL

Single stick running at:
3.51 @ 195 fsb X 18
1:1 mem ratio at 2 2 2 5
NB strap 667
GAT at StreetRacer, auto, auto, enabled, enabled
Quake3 Timedemo Four 560 fps

2 sticks Dual channels I'm running at ...so far..rock stable 6 hours of prime95 (I shut it off at 6.5 hour)
3.51 @ 195 fsb X 18
1:1 ratio at 2 2 2 5
NB Strap 667
GAT partially enabled StreetRacer, auto, auto, enabled, DISABLE!
quake3 Timedemo Four 616 fps

So, so far, I'm not sure if it's the GAT option of my MB or it's the memory that's affecting the dual channel operation. But obviously, after turning off the last GAT option, I'm able to run it at decent speed. I'm current;y testing it at 198 fsb dual channels.

Back