• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC let out moisture?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EPirate

I got my RIG right next to the AC vent with my Tornado sucking all the air in, im jsut wondering if air from a AC has alot of moisture in it or if theres nothing to worry about.

I never notice moisture out of an AC when I'm near one (Don't own one, but lot of friends have theirs on when I'm over) and I think it should be fine. I think most people that have em have a rig near it for a bit better ambient temperature/air getting to the cpu.

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Alright then i shouldn't worry, i just wasn't sure. I just upgraded my CPU and thats not a common event(maybe every year or so), and i dont want to mess it up after having it for 5 days.

Both air conditioners and heaters take moisture out of the air- thats why you always get dripped on when you're walking through a city on a hot day, or why your car dribbles water when you're driving slowly on a hot day. What I would be worried about is dust. even though the airflow through an AC vent is rarely stagnant, a lot of dust can be picked up by them. I'd put a filter on the vent if you're going to put it right next to your intake.

They don't actualy add or take away moisture. The warmer air is the more moisture it can hold, when it's colder it can't hold as much. Air conditioners usualy drip because it cools the air to where it can't hold as much moisture as it could before (esp right around the coils that cool the air) so it condenses on the AC (which does essentially take water out of the air).
As long as you don't have the fan close enough to get the drops of water sucked in (I wouldn't put it past a tornato) I woulnd't worry too much. The only other thing that could happen is if your hardware gets cold enough and the air around it hasn't lost water (like, say you just turned off the AC and there is a lot of humid warm air in the room being pulled into the case RIGHT after you turn the AC off) it could cause a little condensation, but I doubt that would happen so I wouldn't worry about it. I had freezeing air ducted into my case one time and I never had any problems:D

Last edited:
Back