• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idle Speculation: Could the blaster worm cause the power outages?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As silly as it sounds. . I would NOT be at all surprised. . . .

My 2c

Lol. Sorry folks we are unable to get the northwest grid up. But hey, we did figure out how to get rid of the dog animation.

anything of major importance such as the power grid will have its own software written for it... there is pretty much no chance of this being related at all... it just makes internet traffic a little slower due to a lot of redirects that i seem to be getting in order to get around the east coast...

If someone amassed a large DDoS net, and then targeted the subnets of the power grid networks, if they are available on the global internet, then perhaps they could cause network/communication problems between power centres.

But I don't think this is likely...

I don't think so. Melissa was more viral and malignant than MSBlast, and all it did was slow down the internet for about 3 weeks or so.

If anything, the outtage was caused by people overdrawing power.

Oni said:
I don't think so. Melissa was more viral and malignant than MSBlast, and all it did was slow down the internet for about 3 weeks or so.

If anything, the outtage was caused by people overdrawing power.

That's exactly what they are theorizing about. This is what caused the 1965 blackout of the Northeast. What happened then is that all power substations were at full capacity, and one breaker blew, causing a substation to go out. This caused all the other substations to try and distribute more power than they could, systematically causing one to fail after another. This is what they believe happened this time as well.

Back