• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512MB XMS-3200LL - is it worth the HUUGE cost??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

siavash_s_s

specs:
msi kt4 ultra sr
xp 2200 tbred "b"
maxtor 7200 60 gb 133
geforce 3 ti200 (gotaa love it anyway, 4 STOLE THE GLORY...)
other stuff that is good (cos its red like my mobo!!)

so anyway, is it worth buying this
the following string is what the retailer has to say about it:
"512MB XMS-3200LL (400MHz) DDR RAM Corsair ULTRA LOW LATENCY SPD (2-2-2-6 command rate of 1T) Designed for KT400 or nForce2 chipsets Integrated aluminium heat spreader (black color) PC 3200 (400MHz) Lifetime warranty Made in USA "
it costs 309 $ aus (roughly 150 american i think?)

the big reason i want it is that im using 333mhz generic atm and when i oc above 145 fsb the mobo hangs and my indicators claim "hang on onboard memory test" - which i think translates to your memory cant take it, so i want the legendary corsair
so anyway is it worth it? will it help??
btw the specs can be found here:
http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/products/specs/cmx512-3200ll.pdf

also if it is great and works and i should get it, do you recommend xms3200ll or xms3200??
(xms3200 specs: http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/products/specs/cmx512-3200c2.pdf)

if this thread is confusing to u as it is to me then flame me and ill fix it

The answer is YES.
Memory is a bottleneck when o/c. Cr@p memory= cr@p o/c. That's all. Corsair is the safest way to get the best memory on the market. Yes It costs a fortune, but it's lifetime warranty, tested at almost military standards, and the support service is great.

every one quickly send some cash to me!!!! :D :D :D
so someone now give me a valid reason not to buy it (not cost wise)
my biggest problem is that i buy something with great features, only to find out it is missing maybe 1 thing that is all important...

btw is msi kt4 ultra sr a good oc board??

siavash_s_s said:
the big reason i want it is that im using 333mhz generic atm and when i oc above 145 fsb the mobo hangs...

so, even though that ram at default runs at 166 you can't get it to post at 145?

BaD CrC said:
The answer is YES.
Memory is a bottleneck when o/c. Cr@p memory= cr@p o/c. That's all. Corsair is the safest way to get the best memory on the market. Yes It costs a fortune, but it's lifetime warranty, tested at almost military standards, and the support service is great.

how on GODS EARTH is that worth the money? corsair is NOT all that. jesus, even my twinmos pc3200 (which is almost half the price of corsair) does 230mhz+. why would you need to pay that much?

regardless, that isnt even his problem. cherryp00t is right i believe - its the board that is the problem. my msi kt3-ultra aru did the same thing - except mine didnt even run at 133mhz fsb.

My opinion of msi is a little biased so you are best waiting to hear from someone else - but i have never liked their boards and have heard nothing but bad about them.

Not unless you put alot of value on customer service and warrantee. There are much cheaper and faster memories now.

i'd recommend a new motherboard (upgrade to nforce2).

the memory can come later.

as far as corsair goes, i'm a huge corsair fan, and i think people buy it for the same reason that they buy an intel chip, or a porsche instead of a kia. because its fast, has a good reputation, and you can pretty much guarantee that its gonna go above and beyond 100% of the time.

i'm sure other things are like that too, but i'm sticking with corsair until i have reason to switch otherwise.

jeff

Jeff Bolton said:
as far as corsair goes, i'm a huge corsair fan, and i think people buy it for the same reason that they buy an intel chip, or a porsche instead of a kia. because its fast, has a good reputation, and you can pretty much guarantee that its gonna go above and beyond 100% of the time.

Corsair used to have a good rep but now? There's just as fast memory modules out there for much cheaper and equally good customer service and warranties. They might've been great a few months or years ago but now that they're lagging behind the numbers games (PC3500, PC3700, PC4000, etc) they're scrambling to get faster modules out by o/c'ing slower memory. Their testing method is using retail motherboards (ie. P4P800, IC7, etc) to test their memory rather than use real memory testers like Advantest.

Porsche isn't a good analogy since they started making the 996 911's. The purists are saying that there's no soul in those cars and the main reason you can pick up a used 996 911 for under $40k while the 993 911's (95-98) are going for the same or more. Porsche was great for sports cars back then but now they're catering more towards the image types and market their cars toward the general public.

I tried the new corsair modules and they sucked. I found out that I really bought PC2700 modules that were "tested" to reach DDR400 speeds and labeled as such.

-Bobby

Corsair has passed it's peak, and is going downhill. If your living in Aussie-land, then the best memory would prolly be Adata DDR500. It costs about the same as Corsair LL, or about $150-160(USD) down there.

Or you could try getting Mushkin. If you can't find a dealer with it, they do offer International shipping, though at $35 it's kinda high.

GeIL's is still growing into it's own. They have problems, and its a crapshoot what your going to get. But they have a leg up on Corsair and Mushkin in that they produce their own chips.

i need someone to clear this up for me:
why is it that if my mobo is bad then it is hanging on memory test?
also my xp 1700 (palomino) on asus a7v333 cant get much higher either, and the only common thing is the ram in them
also how am i gonna sell this board? i dont want to have to go and get a new one when this is like 5 months old...
im sure it isnt the board, mainly becuase i hit 151 last night by putting ram to 266 and cas to 2. (hangs on memory again after 151 fsb)

It could be that the memory controller on your motherboard could be bad and thus resulting in the hangs on memory tests. MSI is great for video cards but they don't have a good reputation for motherboards. Since you tested your memory on another board, I'd say to get some new memory and try that first.

-Bobby

shall do...
will they take it back if i say i dont want it, or if i say it simply wont boot wth my board if it dont suit me?

It depends where you buy the memory and what kind of policies they have. If the memory is fine and you just don't like it, don't ***** about a restocking fee unless they state in their return policy regarding your situation.

-Bobby

hmm 300 bucks, now where am i going to get that....

btw which performs better in oc situation:
xms-3200LL
xms-3500

If I'm not mistaken, they both use the same chip, so it doesn't really matter.

They both use the Winbond CH-5 chips, no? I havn't heard of any LL-lately using BH-5's or anything else. The 3500 uses an overclocked CH-5.

The 3500 has a higher gaurenteed speed, 216MHz over 200MHz, but it also is marked up with higher timings.

thnx for feedback, seems im stuck with the corsair for now, if it isnt workingg then i try anotha...

Back