• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need new RAM? Please help me...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tycanadian

Hi,

I have 2 sticks of Corsair XMS3200 CAS2 256MB. In both my A7N8X and now my NF7-S 2.0, the RAM simply will not post. Unless, that is, I throw in some Micron CAS2.5 first, then change timings in BIOS to 6-2-2-2, then switch the RAM, then reboot. Also, on my NF7-S 2.0, when I enable CPU overclocking, it won't post due to a RAM error (by the beep code, successive long beeps). I know my CPU overclocks and I know the RAM does work fine, but it seems to have serious issues with me or both those boards. I am extremely frustrated as with watercooling and everything it is a PAIN to switch RAM every time I try to boot up with new settings. Any suggestions?

are you running it in dual channel? if not you may want to eliminate that from possible culprits... although it seems unlikely since you're having problems on both boards.

Back to the basics... I know you said your memory has worked fin, but have you run memtest86 on these sticks? If not, try memtest at your fast, desired timings. If you get errors, drop everything to stock speeds (fsb, cpu, etc votages) and timings and run again. If you get errors in memtest still, you probably have a bad stick(s). Try this in both boards to be sure.

Second point, check these formums for compatibility issues. They do exist between mobo/chipsets/mem. My Mushkin flaked out on my 8rda+. I had to boot off a stick of Crucial to get into the BIOS and change settings. Ever since, it has been fine.

Good luck!

Back