• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get rid of old heatsink ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HvH

Registered
I have bought the Zalman for my Ati 9800Pro.

But there is a old heatsink from Hercules, I can't take it off.

Its a copper one.......what to do ???

HvH.

Thanks , what do you mean by zip-lock ??

I am dutch you know:)

You mean plastic bag ??

HvH;)

he means anti-freezer bag =d something that will lock out the moisture

since its a expensive card make sure you double or triple bag it for safety ;d

Another technique which has worked for me is to run 3dmark or some other program that really works the GPU, and turn off the computer really quickly- The heat can loosen the TIM that ATI uses to hold on the heatsink.

the freezer method is usually better because you wanna take the TIM off too.. and when it frezes it usually just flakes off with a lil scraping

I have installed it......and it works great.

No problems with the P4P800 Deluxe.
Only had to remove some heatsinks of the Hercules.

The freezer did it:)

Thanks;)

HvH.

How long should you leave it in the freezer?
when i poped a pentium 200 cpu off a heatsink i left it in there for 2 hours, but how long should i really leave anything that i want to pop the heatsink off in the freezer for? (is there a too long?)

I did it for 15 minutes in the freezer.

I red somewhere...don't no where anymore, but to long is not good if you ask me.

Try first 10, when it won't come off....15 min.
(with a little time in between....thats the way I did it)

I did it in a plastic Bag first and then in a Tupperware-box, its also air-tight.

Do you know what I mean with Tupper-ware..I am Dutch you know:p

Isn't that a American-thing....Tupper-ware-parties:D

HvH.

When I did my old 8500 to lap it, it took about 30-40 minutes. 15minutes and it was barely cold.

Lithan said:
When I did my old 8500 to lap it, it took about 30-40 minutes. 15minutes and it was barely cold.

Maybe one freezer is colder then the other...who knows:cool:

I must say I had to use a little force...maybe a little longer is better as you said;)

HvH.

Back