• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ducting on an SK-7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PunkRawk911

If I'm putting an 80mm fan on an SK-7, I've heard that placing the empty housing of an old 80mm fan between the fan and the heatsink will increase temps by allowing the air to speed up or something, before it hits the fins... Would this give me better temps? The fan I'm using is a panflo 80 mm fluid bearing sort, I don't remember the exact name/model.

I dont think it'll speed up the air.... if anything it'll slow it down.. and how will you put that housing in considering the clips are only made to fit up to 80*35mm fans =d

Making a duct-like device won't speed up the air, but it will help to eliminate the dead spot in the center of the fan, which is a column of stagnant air that the fan can't get to, right over where the processor touches the heatsink. It should help to decrease temperatures, but don't expect more than a degree or two at best.

Not sure if that will help lower your temp but you still have to figure out how to attach the empty fan shell and that 80mm panflo to the heatsink like cherryp00t pointed out.

I made it work.

I screwed the fan and the empty fan housing together. Then I used the clips for thick 80mm fans. I ran cable ties through the furthest set of fan screw holes away from the base of the sink, and looped them through the clips and pulled tight. It works great. Go ghetto mods!

Did it reduce your temps? If you haven't tested it with the fan directly on the SK-7, you may want to.

Back