• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Abit? I don't get it...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UjinR

Registered
Hi everyone.

I'm planning to buy a new motherboard and I've been reading many posts in the forum to decide.I can't decide if it's going to be the Abit NF7-s or the Epox 8RDA3+.
Most users in here recommend the NF7-s but studing the specifications of each one I see this:

Abit NF7-s: FSB Range:100 - 237 MHz
Vcore Range:1.1 - 1.85V

Epox 8RDA3+: FSB Range:100-250 MHz
Vcore Range:1.4 - 2.2V

I thought these are important for O/C,Am I wrong?
Isn't 1.85V limiting?

probably not wrong, just from an older version of the board...v2.0 comes with the 1.4 BIOS which allows you to take it that far

:santa2:

You must have been looking at the specs for the older revisions of the NF7-S. The current (2.0) offers the higher FSB and voltages. Although I think that even the older ones gave you more than 1.85V for vcore.

Actually many have found the best ocing bios to be 10. It is also a buggy bios but I have not had any issues with it. If you run bios 10 you get a max fsb of 250 but you also get a better shot at actually hitting 250.

the 8RDA3+ is a buggy board. I had to send one back because of various issues (picky on RAM, picky on just about everything).

The Abit NF7-S is rock solid, and it can probably take more than your cpu/RAM can give =)

.Sorry Epox, the NF-7-s 2.0 is the one to beat these days, there is no need for modes, except if you are really into it.. I am very happy with it.:D

My abit just died........So, I'm RMAing it. But, honestly for the price, I wasn't that impressed with it.

If I was doing it again, I'd just get an 8RDA+ or 8RGA+.

my 8RDA+ died 2 wks ago before I got the Abit, it just depends. I like both companies, they make good products. To me its just a matter of what other users are finding hot.

I have had 4 nf7's and none of them lasted more than 4 days without dieing or corrupting, ussually 1 or less. I have had 5 8rda's, put them through all hell and none had any problems. When i get a new memory and bios for my NF7 2.0 i will test it against my 8rda+ 2.0 and see what happens...they both hit the wall of my memory(237) with 1.7vdd on the NF7 and 1.6v on the 8rda+. One of the things i think people overlook is the affect of cpu interface on the nf7... 8rda+ always performs like NF7 with cpu interface enabled but people don't ussually get really high FSB on NF7 unless it is disabled.. then it takes a huge performance hit. This week i will test all this on both boards modded.

Back