• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with DRAM Timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GhostHavoc

Hello All,

I have a 2.66 Ghz Pentium 4, SOYO P4X400 Dragon Lite MOBO (which supports up to 3.06 ghz), Mushkin 512MB PC3200, Geforce 128MB FX5200 and 420 watts PSU. I would like to overclock my CPU to 3.0 GHZ. Thats my goal. I have successfully cranked up my CPU speed to 2.88 GHZ but if I set my frequency any higher, it would cause my system to reboot. I tried increasing my CPU voltage, Memory voltage and AGP voltage to no avail. One guy suggested adjusting my DRAM timings to 2-2-2-6 but I could not figure out how to adjust the timings from my SOYO dragon lite MOBO because It is different.

These are my DRAM Timings

SDRAM CAS LATENCY -----------------2.5
BANK INTERLEAVE------------------------DISABLED
PRECHARGE TO ACTIVE (TRP)---------- 4T
ACTIVE TO PRECHARGE (TRAS)-------- 10T
ACTIVE TO CMD (TRCD)----------------- 4T
DRAM COMMAND RATE ----------------- 2T
DRAM BURST LEN------------------------- 8
Write recovery time----------------------4T
DRAM Access Time------------------------3T

Can anyone please help out a newbie.. any help would be greatly appreciated..

edit: typos /replace "not sure" with the right numbers

Last edited:
Just lower your timings to the most unagressive as possible to achieve the highest speed, then slowly raise your timings to see where your stable.

Remember that the higher the number, the more UN-agressive the timing. For example, 2-2-2-6 is really agressive, while 3-4-4-8 is very unagressive.

SDRAM CAS LATENCY -----------------2.5
PRECHARGE TO ACTIVE (TRP)---------- not sure
ACTIVE TO PRECHARGE (TRAS)-------- not sure
ACTIVE TO CMD (TRCD)----------------- not sure

They above settings are what you need to modify...

Good luck...

DP

What Lord09 said. Any extra Mhz you get with less agressive timings will negate the lower CPU speed with agressive timings. Translation: It is usually worth the hit in timings if you are getting a good bit of Mhz out of it.

Also, the last number in the timing (8) should be the sum of all the other timings, although YMMV. For example, 2.5-3-3-9, where the first three summed together equal the last (8.5~9). (the actual name for that timing is escaping me at the moment). A search on these forums will find more discussion on that. Worked for me.

Good luck!

Instead of messing with the DRAM TImings I underclocked my memory from 200Mhz to 133Mhz and so far my computer is running fine at 3.0 ghz (from 2.66). What do you guys think?

That means your CPU is fine then. But you'll want to your RAM speeds as fast as possible for the best performance....

What kind of RAM do you have BTW?

DP

Lord09 said:
That means your CPU is fine then. But you'll want to your RAM speeds as fast as possible for the best performance....

What kind of RAM do you have BTW?

DP

My RAM is PC3200 512MB mushkin basic.. i am getting another 512 MB stick. any other suggestions I should know? Thanks for all your help

Back