• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

only 256MB of 512MB recognized

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=AgV=-

Registered
I just put my new system together today, and my 512MB stick is identified as 256MB (?!) by the Abit IS7 motherboard.

This it the only text I can find on the Memory stick:

MDGVD4C3H3X1B1CZK
DDR333, CL 2.5 512x8

It 'singe sided' by the way, only memory chips on one side...

Try putting the ram in a different spot. Also, I am not sure about your board but does it use any ram for an onboard gfx chip? If so, then try disabling the onboard graphics. Reset cmos, that might also help. Good Luck!

Matt

There's no onboard graphics on the IS7.

I have tried all four memory slots, newest BIOS update and clear cmos ofcourse.

Hrmmm....are you sure 512mb? Try it in another system if it says 256mb then you got a 256mb chip and somebody ripped you off. I would suggest that it could be broken, but then it would be some wierd number most likely, not 256mb. Maybe a problem with the motherboard's memory pipeline or northbridge chipset. Try a different stick of ram and see if it only detects half. I am not really familar with that mobo, I have never dealt with it in the past.

Matt

I'm sure it's 512MB because it worked on my old motherboard (crappy Elite ddr-board, P6S5AT with a celeron 1.2).

I disabled "Quick Power on self test", and it counted to 256MB three times... :/

Hrmmm....this is a tough one. Did you try a different stick of ram in your new motherboard? Maybe its a motherboard problem. Still thinking.....

Matt

COuld be a bad is7 or the memory is bad.
Only way is to get another stick of memory.

Thats what I am saying you have to test and find out if its the memory or the motherboard. If its not any of that, then, well, I am quite confused.

I don't think there's something wrong with the motherboard. I've experienced similar problems with newer Asus boards, they simply don't like cheap memory... Just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a simple setting that caused it...

Maybe updating your BIOS would correct the problem. Try that. Good Luck!

Matt

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've replaced the RAM and now it works. The only diffence between the two is that this one is double sided. The other one was single sided.

Back