• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help repair busted Mosfet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mata2974

My 8RDA+ could not start so I thought it was dead, but turns out the processor was dead. So I decided to take it apart from all the modes etc. I was trying to pull out a small heat sink that was mounted on the surface of that mosfet on the photo with Arctic silver adhesive glue. I pulled out the rest fine, but this last one just ripped off from the base of the MB. I did this after freezing the MB overnite. Can somebody help me put this together. It appears that the contact was with some type of solder, I am not sure. Anybody with a dead 8RDA+ who can investigate how that contact is??? If the mobo works I will donate it to charity on your behalf :D.
I think I can put this together with some help from you guys

bad_mosfet.jpg

hmm, i have a dead board... From the looks of your picture the black part seperated from the tab part right?

It was probably just soldered, but the tab is connected to the center pin only.

Actually, i wonder if it might work fine with out being attached (in other words leave it alone). I know when you are doing the 5v mod (running 5v from the power supply directly to the mosfet you can either go to the center pin or to the tab, so neither one should be connected to the board in any way. I know that the tab is soldered to the board in your pic, but i wonder if it actually has an electrical connection to anything. On my 8K7A the mosfets were mounted vertically... the tab wasnt touching anything except the heatsinks they put on there. In fact that tabs only purpose might be to act as a heatsink.

Hopefully someone who knows a bit more about it can confirm (or shoot down) my idea here, but i dont THINK it will matter that its broken like that, as long as the other two pins are still attached.

hmm, i have a dead board... From the looks of your picture the black part seperated from the tab part right?
actually no, its still attached to the base via two connections, I just pried it out further to see better, its the central part of the black part that separated from the shinny base, my Q was whether there is any electrical connection between the center of that black tab and MB that I should worry about. You might be right, I will wait to investigate other opinions

Last edited:
your only real option is to replace it.you can not repair it.and since you damaged it,rma is out of the question.

Back