• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with OC decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

V1P3R

I have been researhing heavily for my new comp I am buying. I plan on overclocking using a Thermalright SLK-900U as heatsink and any fan at atleast 64CFM. I want to achieve at least 3.4 GHz, but I am not sure which processor to buy and which ram to go with it. My mobo is a DFI PRO875 (875P). I was thinking something from 2.4c to 2.8c??!?!? Which chip will gurantee me a STABLE oc to at least 3.4GHz. Please help as I know close to nothing about overclocking p4s.

ALSO, somoene I talked to told me that p4s had to be unlocked someone manually to allow a high OC? is this true? if so please tell me what is needed.

first off these questions should be posted in the INTEL CPUS =d

first off if im not mistaken intel CPUS are LOCked and cant be unlocked. And you can get a 2.4C to 3.4 GHZ with good ram or if semi decent ram and FSB ram Ratios.

cherry go look again the average o/c for a 2.4c is 3.3ghz u can prolly get 3.4 with good ram and cooling

oops, I could have swore this was in the intel area. If any moederator sees this please move it there. And also, depending on if I get 2.4, 2.6. or 2.8, which ram should I get depending on the CPU?!?!?!

The 2.4c o/c's higher than the 2.6c I think. You want the absolute best ram you can afford. You could go with Corsair XMS or Kingston Hyperx, both are pretty reliable. To hit the 3.4GHZ mark, you will need a bus of 283 or 284. And you might be able to hit the bus speed with decent latency timings with PC3500, I would go with PC3700 if possible. I don't know much about ram at that high of fsb though so don't quote me on anything.

Back