• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phase-Change vs. Watercooling (serious questions)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OperativeSix

Ok, I'm about to be moving from my nice air conditioned house into a stuffy, warm, swealtering dorm. As such, I'm doubting whether or not my trusty Zalman 7000cnps-Cu can actually keep my system cool (2.4c @ 284 fsb). As such, I'm looking to upgrade my cooling system. I figure at the very least, it's gotta do a better job cooling my system, not to mention be quieter than the massive array of fans I've got in there right now to keep things cool.

So when it comes down to alternatives to air-cooling (that out-perform it, at any rate), there's mainly water cooling, and phase-change cooling. As I see it...

Water Cooling:

PROS:
-Can cool your CPU, Northbridge, and GPU
-Easily updatable for any of the components
-Quieter than air cooling
-Cheaper than phase-change

CONS:
-Malfunction/leakage means an almost certainly fried system
-Louder than phase-change (from what I've heard)
-Unable to keep the processor as remotely as cool as a phase-change system

Phase-Change:

PROS:
-Keeps CPU at sub-zero temperatures
-Extremely quiet
-Allows for incredible overclocks
-Can be upgraded with each change in processor cooling mechanisms (At least the prometeia can. Not sure about vapochills. I know I worded it horribly, but you get the idea of what I meant)
-The geeky alure of being one of the few people with a phase-change system

CONS:
-Can't cool GPU/Northbridge with it
-Much more expensive than water-cooling
-requires a whole lot of power
-Vapochill (PE/SE) are cheaper than prometeia, but require modification to fit underneath the case
-Condensation

So that's how I see it. I realize that water cooling means I can cool my northbridge with the same system, along with my GPU, too. However, would that make up for the amount of overclock phase-change would allow beyond a watercooling system? I'm really lost when it comes to making a decision between the two, so maybe the pros can help me out with this one.

Keep in mind with either system, I intend to fabricate a box to sit my CPU on to house the cooling system. This means the CPU will rest at least 2 feet above the cooling system most likely. (unless I remove the bottom of the case entirely)

I would have to say that water cooling is what you are looking for. It can be designed to fit in your case (well most cases) and will keep you going if you built it right. It can be made to keep the noise down, if you use larger diameter fans at lower RPMs and a more efficient radiator and run an inline pump as opposed to submerged (ehime are good for this and with rubber feet don't make much noise at all)

Hello!

I just wanted to give u some feedback on phase-change.

1. U can cool the GPU and chipset with phase-change, but u need to make a water chiller not a direct-die cooler. In a chiller the freon in the evaporator is used to cool a secondary coolant like methanol + water.

2. A phase-change system isnt that expensive if u make it yourself. U can pick a AC unit for less than 100$ and submerge the evaporator into a container with the secondary coolant and the chiller is ready.

3. U will only notice a slight increase on the power bill, but nothing serious.

4. U can have the condensation in grip with a few simple steps. U just insulate the lines well and u use lots of dielectric grease.

hope this helps u a bit.

BTW: u would get more response on such question in the extreme cooling part of this forum

Songoko, I'm aware of that, but I thought I'd get a better range of responses from both the WC and PC cooling crowds posting it here. As for building my own phase-change system, I wouldn't mind doing it if it meant saving a good chunk of change, but just how much work am I looking at doing? I will have time to install a phase-change or water cooling system, but I doubt that I will have time during the week with school (18 credit hours) to actually build one from scratch at this point.

If u have the right tools then building a chiller isnt a problem. It will take some time before u get it done but it is doable and not to hard. It also helps a lot if u know any people that do HVAC. But for u if u will build a chiller unit the best choice is to go to wal-mart and buy one AC unit for less than 100$ then u only need a tank for the evap + secondary coolant and off u go.

Hope this helps u.

creepy said:
combine the 2 :) watercooling+a water chiller

U need to combine those 2 cooling methodes if u want to get a chiller running. u need to get a water pump that is able to work at sub-zero temps and u also need water blocks for the parts that will be chilled and i u need to insulate very good.

A viable option for you is to use direct-die peltiers. You can expect just about the same level of performance as a phase-changed system, the only con is that it will be for a similar price level. But it will be close to silent, but you will be able to cool your entire system in one or two loops. As for straight water, there is no way it can even hold a candle to phase-change cooling, whether a chiller or a direct-die unit. If you have the money to spend on a cooling system of this caliber, you will find that it will be very well worth it. Good luck!

Gautam, I've been thinking about a 226w water cooled peltier solution, actually.

Prices with a pump, res, TEC+waterblock, chipset cooler, etc. seem to be just below $300. Much better than a prebuilt phase-change system i'd say. And yes, I know I could build a phase-change system, but I have neither the time, nor the knowledge of welding, etc. neccessary :/ .

well I use all forms of cooling...I have over 12 tricked out rigs, from HSF combos, to a Mach I and a Mach II prometiea unit, to water cooling... If your moving to a dorm, Prometeia units will not be your answer, no phase change unit will be, because of the wattage it takes to dissipate the thermal load, I had to get my relay switch to my computer room upgraded, and the whole room re-wired with a thicker gauge, your dorm room wouldnt be able to run a glade plug-in after you cranked your rig on. Also the amount of heat that comes out of the back of the phase change units is enough to make your " stuffy, warm, swealtering dorm room", into an oven in about 12 minutes, and without great ventilation, well its gonna be hell, literally". Water cooling is only efficient if the water is actually cooled when passing through its radiator, but if the ambient air is well lets say a stuffy ,warm , swealtering tempurature then , the water is not gonna cool down much, UNLESS you used a advanced peltier cooled radiator setup, which still has to have a great amount of heat disssipated, then you *might* get by fairly well.. As for the HSF combo, in a hot dorm room, well I wouldnt OC the rig at all, because the fans will keep your roommate up...and the overclock will not be signifigant, sooo grab a laptop and rough it out...thats it in a nutshell....hope I helped:)

There is no doubt the CNPS7000CU will cool that system. It cools my 2.4C @ 3.57GHz down to 41C under load. Having said that, a Custom water cooling system is what you are looking for. If you are looking for phase change like temps, consider a pelt.

get an air conditioner for your room. not only will it keep ur room and comp. cool, it will also help you to make many friends during the hottest months

one possibility is mineral oil submersion. you can build a case out of 1 inch think foam insulation board for like three bucks, and mineral oil is cheap.

i dont think the submersion idea is very thought out.
other parts of your board dont get that hot, and definately not the need for subcooling it. also it turns conductive over time and eats stuff away. can also blow your capacitors i think

Back