• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 9800 Pro with AMD CPU heatsink anyone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saulin

My bro just got a R9800 Pro. He is thinking on changing the heatsink.

Now has anyone used an AMD HSF on their Radeon 9800 Pro?

Like how much better would it overclock?

Also what to use to stick the heatsink to the GPU. Something like Artic Alumina?

Would Artic Alumina alone do the trick or first some thermal compound should be added before Artic Alumina?

Last question. Where can Ram sinks be bought to add to the R9800 Pro?

Some Ram sinks that are specially made for that card. In other words that will fit perfect without needing to be cut or modified.

1. I thought 9800 pros came with ramsinks.

2. ANY bga ramsinks will work. Ram dimensions don't change on videocards. Bga ram will always be bga size and standard ram will always be standard size. www.Bestbyte.net has 4 bga sinks for 4$. You will need either 2 or 4 sets (depending on whether it is a 128 or 256meg card I believe).

3. I doubt it would overclock much better. From the reviews I've seen, while the cards get hot, heat isn't what limits overclocking.

4. I wouldn't recommend epoxy. I'd suggest you do some work and get a through-card mounting system made.

5. A smaller copper heatsink would probably be a better choice. Amd sinks are just big lumps of aluminum. Cumbersome to say the least. Get a low profile (1u are they called?) all copper skived-fin sink for best results.

Back