• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair XMS 3200 crashes system....Need advice plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rock92884

Registered
I just put together a new system. My first ever AMD system. Im a long time Intel fan. You can check out all my specs below.

While loading windows XP Pro i got two BSOD. I was unable to read what the first one said b/c i wassnt paying complete attention. (wassnt expecting anything to go wrong) Then i encountered another one while XP install was saving settings. This one said "Memory Management"

I finally got XP up and running fine. At this point i had not overclocked anything. I ran Memtest for about 2 hours and i had no errors whatsoever, so i figured my ram was fine. I then ran Prime95 and i got a rounding error after 10 seconds. I restarted upped the mem voltage to 2.7 and rebotted and still got the same error in prime95. I finally got prime95 to run for a short amount of time when i got another BSOD saying Memory Management as well.

Nothing in my system is overclocked at all. I was hoping to hit barton 3200 speeds. I think i got bad sticks of memory but i want a second third and even a fourth opinion.

here are some possibilities to eliminate.
my temp never goes past 43C (using vantec aeroflow and 8 case fans). I have swapped sticks, using each one individually and together in dual channel and single.

Please help, this has been a very frustrating weekend!
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Ok wierd stuff. I decided to give memtest another shot. After about 30 seconds i got like 55 errors. took out one stick and it was fine. put in the other stick and walked away for a while and i got 2000+ errors!!!!!! I think its safe to say i found the problem.

Prime95 has now been running for about 10 minutes w/o errors. I know thats nothing but compared to the 5 seconds i was getting before i think thats pretty damn good

I dont want to risk another bad set of XMS ram. I need advice selecting a pair of sticks that will enable me to get to AMD 3200+ speeds at a low latency.

Thanks a bunch!

I have the XMS 3200LL and it runs fine...except my crap 'board won't even do 200fsb.

Anyway...did you buy them as a pair (Twinx) or individually? If a pair i would send them back and get a new pair to guarantee a matched pair.

Also where did you purchase?

i bought them as a pair twinx, i bought them from newegg.com

i dont know if i want to risk sending back both of them and getting another bad one. this seems to be a growing trend with corsair!

So are the Twinmos modules the best all around memory to buy these days? Remember i dont want to hit 2.5ghz. I'll gladly settle for 2.25ghz

Thanks guys!

One more thing~~~would only 1x 512mb or 2x 265mb sticks make a more stable overclock at tighter timings? If so i may go for that and save some money! :)

Back