• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems overclocking IS7/ P4 2.4B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dethshaft

I recently decided to try overclocking my computer and I have been running into a few problems.

Pentium 4 2.4B@ 2.88 (160fsb), 5:4 RAM ratio, PCI/AGP fixed, NB Strap by CPU

Corsair XMS 3200
Abit IS7

I have my RAM set to 2-3-3-7, and GAT to Auto-Auto-Auto-Disabled-Disabled.

I bumped my RAM up to 2.7V

I can boot into windows just fine but I can run Prime 95 for about 10 seconds before it finds an error. I am running stock cooling but that is not really too much of a problem as my CPU does not even have the time to heat up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I read most of the posts but I still seem to run into little problems. I hope this is not the limit of my CPU/RAM or this will truly be a waste of money!!( a fun waste though:) )

docinthebox said:
Try Auto-Normal-Auto-Disabled-Disabled.

Thanks I will give that a go. Right now I am just gonna run Prime 95 for 3 or 4 hours at 2.7 to make sure I can run AT LEAST here for now.

I kinda rush things cause everyone seems to be hitting 3.0+. Next week I will be getting my new heatsink and I will put some ceramique on the NB heatsink and hopefully that will help some as well.

Dethshaft said:

Thanks I will give that a go. Right now I am just gonna run Prime 95 for 3 or 4 hours at 2.7 to make sure I can run AT LEAST here for now.

I kinda rush things cause everyone seems to be hitting 3.0+. Next week I will be getting my new heatsink and I will put some ceramique on the NB heatsink and hopefully that will help some as well.

OK I am really getting frustrated now. I set my RAM to 1:1 Ratio at 2-3-3-7 @ 2.8 and ran 100 loops of tests 4, 5 and 6. The RAM is not the problems. I am shooting at either a heating problem(I sure as hell hope not), a CPU problem, or BIOS/MOBO problems. Any other ideas?

Dethshaft said:

OK I am really getting frustrated now. I set my RAM to 1:1 Ratio at 2-3-3-7 @ 2.8 and ran 100 loops of tests 4, 5 and 6. The RAM is not the problems. I am shooting at either a heating problem(I sure as hell hope not), a CPU problem, or BIOS/MOBO problems. Any other ideas?

set cpu strap to "800" from auto...helped me.

mica

micamica1217 said:

set cpu strap to "800" from auto...helped me.

mica

I tried setting the Strap to 400 and that gave me a long beep and no post. Good thing I know the "hold insert" trick or I would have been in predicament. Will that work with my 2.4B considering its 533 FSB?

Dethshaft said:

I tried setting the Strap to 400 and that gave me a long beep and no post. Good thing I know the "hold insert" trick or I would have been in predicament. Will that work with my 2.4B considering its 533 FSB?

I said, try 800 strap, not 400 or 533 or 667.

you could try 667, but 800 seems to work best for my 2.4b

mica

P.S. I see your in New York, I'm in Brooklyn.....
PM me with your name/phone number and I'll help you over the phone.
I'm also on [email protected]

micamica1217 said:

I said, try 800 strap, not 400 or 533 or 667.

you could try 667, but 800 seems to work best for my 2.4b

mica

P.S. I see your in New York, I'm in Brooklyn.....
PM me with your name/phone number and I'll help you over the phone.
I'm also on [email protected]

Hey man a fellow new yorker:D . I live in :D Dutchess County but my parents are from the Bronx.

Anyways let me try this out and I will get back to you

well I tried using the 800 Strap and it failed after 2 hours. I also used the 5:4 ratio and it failed after 20 minutes. My only guess is the CPU might be getting too hot. On Monday I have wire sleeves, a 92mm Tornado, and a Smart Case Fan II coming in order to increase the airflow in the case.

BTW I downloaded that Super Pi program and I can calculate 32 million decimal places so I am leaning more towards heat? Tomorrow maybe I should rune 3DMark 2003 in a loop and see how that holds up. Perhaps reinstall Prime and make sure it isnt this program.

Dethshaft said:
well I tried using the 800 Strap and it failed after 2 hours. I also used the 5:4 ratio and it failed after 20 minutes. My only guess is the CPU might be getting too hot. On Monday I have wire sleeves, a 92mm Tornado, and a Smart Case Fan II coming in order to increase the airflow in the case.

BTW I downloaded that Super Pi program and I can calculate 32 million decimal places so I am leaning more towards heat? Tomorrow maybe I should rune 3DMark 2003 in a loop and see how that holds up. Perhaps reinstall Prime and make sure it isnt this program.

prime95 isn't the end all be all test....there are a few peeps here that can't run prime on a stock system.
forget prime for now.

do as you said, try looping 3dmark2k1 overnight.

btw, yes cooling helps, but it could be your system hates prime.

good luck

mica

I have one more question. Are you running Prime 95 Version 22 or 23 Beta? I was running the Beta 23 and it seems alot different then this version 22 I am using. Anyway I think Version 23 either taxes too hard on CPU's or it is bugged because this version seems to be working fine.

Last edited:
Back