• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory in pairs ? New Hyperthread p4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkgonra

I just got in a few new Dell 4600's at work. They have the new 800mhz P4's with hyperthreading. I noticed that they had two 128mb sticks of ram in each and that there were 4 banks for memory but it looked like they were in pairs. Do you have to , or should you add memory in pairs for these type of systems? I am an AMD guy so I am not up on any of the intel stuff.

hkgonra said:
I just got in a few new Dell 4600's at work. They have the new 800mhz P4's with hyperthreading. I noticed that they had two 128mb sticks of ram in each and that there were 4 banks for memory but it looked like they were in pairs. Do you have to , or should you add memory in pairs for these type of systems? I am an AMD guy so I am not up on any of the intel stuff.
The pairs is for dual channel, just like AMD NF2 systems. But, dual channel on intels is a HUGE gain where on AMD it is marginal at best. And yes, you should add in pairs.

Also, I'm not sure how much speed that system is really
getting out of dual channel, seeing as how it's an OEM system,
but you might not want to mix any aftermarket memory with
those wimpy OEM modules. You should consider some name
brand memory and sell off those small sticks or save them for
a future system.

Not only could mixing memory lose you your Dual Channel
capability, but it could also make the system unstable. It's not
worth the hassle for an extra pair of 128MB sticks.

Just ditch 'em

Back