• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about NF7-S Beep Codes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aslan

My NF7-S v2.0 makes a beep code indicating a DRAM Error, as stated in this link (#6). However, when using Memtest86, and testing the RAM, I get no errors after about 12 hours of testing. Is there any other reason that I could be getting this? It's been making this beep code ever since I installed the motherboard from the beginning, I just checked the beep codes now :p :rolleyes:

My system spec, if it matters any:

Abit NF7-S v2.0
XP1700 @ 206 x 9.5
512 MB PC3500 /w V-Data Chips
Matrox Millenium 2 PCI 4MB (I know, I know :p )
12 MB Voodoo 2 (Again, I know, I know :D )
Sparkle 350W
Two Fujitsu 12 Gig HD's (Not in RAID)
Lite-on 48x24x48

Thanks for any help.

First of all, even though you said you know, GET A NEW DAMN VIDEO CARD!!!!!

To try to help you out, I find that this board is picky about RAM. I had Corsair PC3200 and just ordered some Mushkin 3500 off the net half an hour ago because my RAM won't even run at 400MHz like it's supposed to. It works at 333 and even then my comp will only post if I throw in a stick of CAS2.5 RAM first, then change the bios settings to CAS2, then switch the RAM, then boot up again. It's retarded, but that's what I have to do to make it work. So I'm just getting new RAM and everyone says Mushkin is the best for AMD boards, so I'm trusting them (people here are usually smart). I'm just stress testing my FSB at 223 right now with PRIME 95 and a stick of my brother's Micron CAS2.5 RAM since my Corsair won't work (confirming that it's worthwhile to buy new RAM, and it is). So try to post it with other RAM first, then switch it up after changing BIOS settings. Hope that helps.

Helps somewhat, except for the fact that everyone that I know uses much worse RAM than I do (think total cheap generic PC2100 memory that can barely run @ 133, let alone higher) Rather annoying being the only one who's an overclocker. :D
As for the RAM itself, without tweaking, I got it to 2-2-3-11 (11 as tRAS is faster, according to Sandra) @ 217mhz 2.6v, without errors. I just lowered the FSB due to some instability issues with my overclock and also the fact that I don't see much of an improvement due to my ancient video card. :D
I'm starting to think that it may be a bios issue, as I'm not using the latest bios, so I'll change the bios and see if it helps matters.

As for your Corsair RAM, have you tried Memtest86 and checking it for errors? It may be that it's defective and that you need to get it replaced. Corsair PC3200 should hit 200mhz very easily (and even higher).

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Upon reading the Beep Code thread again, I have been proven to be an idiot. :D My problem is a #5, not a #6, and after checking the Official Abit forums, I've found out that its common, and nothing to worry about. No need to delete the thread, as it is somewhat of value ;)

Last edited:
try updating the bios i think they fixed that corsair problem, but i would sugest mushkin anyway, best company out there as far as customer service

Back