• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Gold PC3700 PLZ HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pmontone

Registered
I just got my OCZ gold pc3700 today and when I try to OC my fsb up to 250 or change the fsb:ram ratio to 5:4 the system will hang on hyperthreading enabled. Ive got the cpu at 1.525v and ram at 2.7v @ 2.5-7-3-3. Ive had the system higher with corsair pc3200, but thought I would be able to get higher on OCZ gold, but I cant seem to get by 3Ghz.

I'm still unable to get by the hyperthreading message even with it disabled. Anything around 250FSB will cause it to just sit there at the message wether it is enabled or disabled. It just started this when I put the new ram in, I thought it would help me get faster fsb, but now I can't even get as high as I could with Corsair PC3200.

I ran memtest86 on each stick and it had no errors, but I only let it go through one pass; should I have it go through more to see if there is something wrong with the memory?

I changed the timings to the rated 2-7-3-3 and the voltage to 2.8v, even the fsb:dram ratio to 5:4 and 3:2 and that wouldn't help it either.

Even with GAT settings at: auto, normal, auto, disable, disable the CPU will still just sit at the Hyperthreading message once I get to 255FSB @ 5:4 with cas2.5-8-4-4@ 2.8v, Ive had my vcore as high as 1.7v and it will still lock up at 255FSB.

An earlier try with 3:2 and all GAT on default and ram at cas2-7-3-3 @ 2.8v default vcore; allowed me to get up to 270FSB and would then lock up on hyperthreading.

I also have tried a 5:4 cas2.5-7-3-3 earlied with 2.8v and stock cpu voltage with GAT on defaults and was able to get up to 250FSB and then it would lock up on hyperthreading.

I am starting to think I have a bad P4 and that 3Ghz is as high as I will be able to go I'm not sure what the package date is though I dont have the box anymore; but I purchased it from Googlegear on 7/1/2003.

Should I just try 5:4 with cas3-8-4-4 @ 2.8v with and continue to increase my vcore; or will it hurt the cpu to go over 1.7v?

System Setup:

Abit IS7 (bios15)
P4 2.4C
512MB OCZ Gold PC3700
Thermalright SLK-900u w/ Vantec Toranado 92mm

Now I cant even get into windows with the system overclocked to where it doesnt lock up at boot up. Even at 1:1 cas2.5-7-3-3 @ 2.8v the only way i can get into windows is with 233FSB or lower.

there are known issues with the is7 and ic7 runnin fsb and memory1-1 over 250. take 1 stick out run the mb single channel w/loose timings. that will let u find the maximum speed of the cpu, cause u should be able to get it to around 3.2-3.4.

Memtest86 that memory overnight.

I bought a kit of that memory and it didn't OC very well at all. Couple days after I got fed up with it I ran memtest86 at 233 fsb and was producing more than an error an hour.

Did you try running everything at stock settings? (back the FSB down to 200 and sync with the memory)

If you want to get in touch with our tech support, the e-mail address is [email protected]

-Sean

I actually didn't, since I thought the memory being underclocked so much at loose timings wouldn't provide good readings. Now that I think about it I probalby could have messed with the NBstrap settings to get a ratio that would have both run at spec. However, I was never able to get my Corsair memory to run at any ratio when I had that in.... It's too late now, I already shipped them back to OCZ.

I figure the memory was bad since I was getting weird stability problems. I would run Prime95 and F@H for a couple hours without a problem, but all of a sudden the comp would hard lock. Same with games... random reboots at seemingly stable settings.

Ok, with 1 stick at 5:4 cas2.5-8-4-4 @ 2.8v and stock vcore I got into windows at 280FSB but then when I restarted it locked up during the xp loading screen and would go any further.....so I increased the vcore gradually all the way to 1.675v and still no go it would lock up during boot up.

So I then tried 1 stick on 3:2 cas2.5-8-4-4 @ 2.8v and got up to 290FSB and the same thing happened but I didn't even get into windows once, it just kept locking up during boot up, no matter what the vcore was at.

So I tried just to run the memory at rated 233Mhz cas2.5-8-4-4 @ 2.8v and got into windows once and then my programs would have errors and force me to end task them. I then rebooted and before getting past XP loading screen it would just reboot and not get back into windows.

Later I ran HotCPU tester for 14hrs at 1:1 cas2.5-7-3-3 @ 2.8v and it ran fine. I have also done some memtest86 tests with the ram:

Memtest86

233Mhz cas2-6-3-3 @ 2.8v
Test 5 - 179 passes, 0 errors
Test 6 - 102 passes, 0 errors

I am still going to run some more tests on it and i'll post the results later. But as of right now I have no clue what is wrong :bang head:

bigtoe over at ABXZone thinks there is a compatability problem with the OCZ gold and the mobo running them in dual channel, he is looking into the problem right now. Any other help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Anyone else having problem like this with the new bios v15? With 1 stick 5:4 cas2.5-8-4-4 @ 2.8v I am able to boot into windows at 280FSB, but whenever I try to use 2 sticks I cant OC very well and sometimes cant even get into windows.

I have done some tests on the memory with memtest86 at 233 and 250Mhz, here are the results:

Memtest86

233Mhz cas2-6-3-3 @ 2.8v
Test 4 - 104 passes, 0 errors

250Mhz cas2.5-7-3-3 @ 2.8v
Test 5 - 13 passes, 273 errors
Test 6 - 4 passes, 130 errors

I've also had problems getting back into windows with 1 stick at 280fsb as I said I accomplished it once earlier, now whenever I try it will just lock up before getting into windows; and ive tried vcore all the way up to 1.675V.

Back