• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lap NB... Yes, No?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

I'm planning on putting an old speeze CPU heatsink on my north bridge w/ out the fan. Is lapping the NB worth the risk? What are your thoughts on this? Will it improve anything (longevity/performance)?

Yeah, it's worth it. Ussually the A1/C1 chips are even worse than the older ones even though people seem to think they are flat for some reason. It will improve cooling dramatically.. the things can be so concave i think you could put a straight edge on the chip and slide a penny under it in the middle.

Alrighty then, I was hoping there would be a good reason to do it. It should be fun. Besides not getting any stray particles on the mobo (which could cause a short), is there any other danger to the operation?

Not really. Just put electrical tape all around it. It won't be fun though:D It's one of the first things i do on every nF2 board i get... it's so much worse on the new steppings too

Back