• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best memory for P4 2.4C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kekkai

What's the best bang for the buck memory to get a P4 2.4C over 3000Ghz while all the other PC components are stable?

and what speed should it be?

Also, to those who are overclocking with this CPU, could you also tell us your:

1) Memory (brand etc)

2) Motherboard

Last edited:
I was getting ready to post the same question! So bump on this thread and see if we can get some good answers ;)

What are you other 2.4c users using to get you to 3 ghz or better?

It's not really a matter of "best memory". Any memory that you get truely lucky on can OC to amazingly high levels. It's really an issue of the most "reliable overclocking memory".

There the Mushkin really shines. It's high cost, but available with weekly sales, but the product support is the highest-rated. When you buy Mushkin's top memory (Black Level 2) you get the absolute "best" chips around, WinBond BH-5. You are promised that you will receive those chips and that they will run at the levels advertised (200MHz @ 2-2-2 or 216MHz @ 2-2-2).

Corsair, GeIL, TwinMOS, and Buffalo are more of a crapshoot. Many users have posted great results from them, while others have been disillusioned. TwinMOS and Buffalo are good cheap memory, and use WinBond's CH-5 chips, still good but a level down from BH-5. Some claim to have gotten BH-5 chips in higher-level PC3700 memory from these makers, but that's more of a matter of receiving early-batch modules then an advertised promise.

ADATA is the absolute best. Just bought 2x256mb for $170 shipped from UK :p. Ive seen that people hit almost ddr700 with it (ultra-super volt modded and stuff) but still, I think its awesome.

I'd have to disagree that Winbond BH-5 are "the absolute best" chips. They're 5ns IC's and although they o/c very well, there are better IC's on the market.

Twinmos is sold thru MemoryX.net in the USA (there are a couple of other online vendors) and they clearly state what IC's are on the chip. Not a crapshoot with Twinmos.

Buffalo has been shipping with BH-5 chips (PC3700) but Newegg just recently got a new batch so I don't know what they use in the new modules.

Corsair seems to be a bit more secretive with the IC's they use by putting those heat spreaders on their modules. I think it's safe to say that thier PC3500's and up use binned BH-5 IC's.

Geil makes their own IC's but I don't know how reliable their modules are as I've read a wide range of reviews from excellent to crap.

I've heard great things about Mushkin but with such a high street price, you don't hear too much about them (same with other high priced memory modules).

BH-5 IC's are 5ns and is PC3200 IC's, not PC3500 or PC3700. You are paying to ensure they o/c to a guaranteed speed.

CH-5 IC's aren't that bad and pretty good for AMD systems but not the newer Intel systems. Intel doesn't necessarily need to run at really tight timings but the really loose timings from some manufacturers (ie. 3-4-4-8) is because they're o/c'ing PC3200 to get to those speeds.

The latest WLCSP (Wafer Level Chip Scale Package) technology is promising but the newest offerings leave much to be desired.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the BH-4 IC's can do for the Intel boards that seem to be VERY picky about memory.

-Bobby

if you lookin for 1-1 ratio pure balls to the wall speed its adata hands down. the corsair clocks close but is so much more expensive

I use Kingston HyperX DDR500 PC4000 with my 2.4c.
Just put a new rig together and it works for me. Since I am new at OC ing, I could be full of it ;)

Depends on your goals. You need to do some reading on P4
overclocking. If your used to an AMD setup, as it seems most
of us are, this is a whole new world on the P4 side.

For example, on the AMD chips, they are memory starved.
So the higher the FSB, and the lower the memory timings
the better. But on the P4 side, since it's quad pumped, it's
got plenty of memory bandwidth, so highest total Mhz seems to
bring more performance then lower memory timings.

I'm not saying ignor memory timings, I'm simply saying see how
far your motherboard and processor go, and don't let the
memory hold you back.

With a good P4 2.4c and good PC-3200, you could easily hit
250FSB and have your memory running at spec at 200FSB
and still have KILLER performance.

Those of us who are bragging about memory scores over
6000+ and FSB damn near 300Mhz, well, we are the extreme
and not the norm. It takes a lot of money, and lots of testing,
and a bit of luck to get all the components to not only work
together, but work together WAY over spec.

If you're on a budget, which most of us are, then simply get
yourself a P4 2.4c, good NAME BRAND PC-3200, and the
Canterwood or Springdale board of your choice.

You will NOT be dissapointed!

If money is not an object, and you have experience and
patients enough to work it all out. Then READ A LOT, see what
works for others, and maybe hedge your bets a little bit by
buying hardware that has been tested to do what you expect
it too. For example, hit the forums here and look for someone
selling a P4 that does 275FSB or 300FSB (good luck, I sure
wouldn't sell one), look for someone who's selling some A-DATA
or Corsair or whatever memory and they've hit 275FSB, and
look for a motherboard that EVERYONE and their dog hits 300FSB
reliably. Honestly, there are few people that are really at that
level. I've personally spent thousands playing with this stuff,
and I'm only now getting 275FSB reliably.

Back