• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2400+ overclocking question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alibubba

Registered
berfore i start messing with my L3's and L1's on my 2400+, I just wanted to make sure that what i'm about to do is the right thing to overclock it.

I have a 2400+ (AIUCB 0239) with a MSI KT4V-L, samsung memory 2700 and some no name 400 ps. So far i've been able to raise the FSB to max 141 (about 2120 mhz) before it refuses to boot, changing the multiplier other than auto detect will also to refuse to boot, now my question is,

will doing the wire trick/5V/9V battery help...

a.) change the FSB and multiplier where i can boot?
b.) have i reached the limit on my cpu?
c.) if doing the wire trick/5V, how do i know if i should raise or lower the multiplier? the default on a 2400+ is 15x.
d.) if doing the 5v trick, I wasn't really clear while searching the message board if you have to break all the L3's or just the L3's u want a particular multiplier. thus going back to c.) and also wondering if it's possible to go back after breaking the L3's using the 5V method.

ANY help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

since i dont have a sig atm, specs are :
2400+ @ 2120 mhz with vocano9 (soon to go wc) voltage at 1.75
samsung PC2700 512 RAM
MSI KT4V-L
Gforce4 4200
120GB HD
WIN XP PRO

That is an excellent stick of RAM. No probs there.
VIA is not PCI locked so 141/4 = 35.25

Your /5 divisor should kick in at 166, can you boot at 166 since 166/5=specs.

Still, that pos PSU may give you problems...

(I'm sorry did you say you can't lower the multi yet and that's why you can't go 166 FSB?)

To be honest, i haven't tried setting the FSB to 166, i was trying to up the FSB at multiples of 2 to find a limit then lower the multiplier.

however, to answer your question, lowering the multiplier won't allow me to boot. but i'll try to set it to 166 tonight and see if it'll boot. the only problem i see setting it to 166 is 166 x 15 = 2490. and i doubt that'll work, but who knows.

Back