• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am thinking of getting the Thermalright slk-900 with a 92mm tornado...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mark

I am asking where have you guys seen the cheapest prices for them. My CPU is an AMD 3000+. Will overclock a bit. I know the tornados are loud, I'm going to get an adjustable baybus for it.

Is there something better? besides WC :p

newegg shows 46.99 + 6s/h.
casecooler shows 45 +?
case-mod shows 36.99+?

where's the best deal?

mark

i heard over at xtremesystems thermalright has a new heatpipe in the works.. there a review on the main page of P4 performance.. i'm guessing it will work with socket A motherboards too? or they'll release one?

There is only about two fan controllers that can handle a 92mm Tornado since it requires something like 12w

the sp-94 is the heatpipe but i can't find it for sale anywhere hell even thermalrights website doesn't have it for sale. i am going to send em an email and find out whats up. :D

So far the SP94 is only for socket 478, so it wouldn't fit your 3000+, unless they release it for Socket A. The SLK800U is just as good an option as the other two, though, and will be quite a bit cheaper.

i have a rheobus that i picked up at bestbyte.net, it handles 2 of my tornados, the 80mm one for intake, and the 92mm handling my cpu.

the rheobus is like ~$9 or you can make your own cheap i hear. they are also a good place to get both tornados and slk-900's they have like $5 shipping

My advice? just go watercooling.

I have the same setup, and while it works, you won't be able to stand the noise, or you turn it down and you have high temps.

I think you might be better off with a 80mm Tornado. The 92s are too big and a large portion of the cfm will not be used to cool the cpu.

Last edited:
thermaltake said if you use channels 2 and 3 on the hardcano u can control the 92mm tornado, im sure if you toned down the tornado to tolerable noise levels im sure it would push about the same amount of air as the panflo, plus it gives you alot of headroom for benchmarking and extreme overcloking (119cfm at full speed) and yes the 92mm wont all go to cpu it will also help cool your motherboard a bit too.

"Is there something better? besides WC "
1: phase change(Vapochill)
2: high power Peltier + huge heatsink + very powerful fan

I have a very powerfull peltier (226 watts) with a very powerfull heatsink (swiftech MCX462+) with a very powerfull fan (92mm tornado). Havnt tested it yet cause i got an Abit board and the sensors on that are usualy about 10-20 degrees off but i got a compunurse coming in a few days so i will test temps when i get it.

well for a good prize on ur thermaltake ,, i try tyger direct ,, i got mines there for like 159 i love the case com dont even get warm,,

a little word of advice, note that the fan might be a little on the loud side... I know cooling is the key to overclocking, but I can remember before the water cooling, before the prometeia units, the phone would ring ... : " HELLO?" "HELLO?"....."no I am NOT vacuuming, its my computer"... lol that is no joke.....

"a little word of advice, note that the fan might be a little on the loud side... I know cooling is the key to overclocking, but I can remember before the water cooling, before the prometeia units, the phone would ring ... : " HELLO?" "HELLO?"....."no I am NOT vacuuming, its my computer"... lol that is no joke....."
One time, I was presenting my 800MHz Pentium 3, and as soon as I turned it on, someone said, "I can tell it's a Britney machine because it sounds like a jet engine."
Of course, I explained that it's a Pentium 3 with a Britney HSF.

well make sure you can take the loudness..

I'm very used to it... I have been using Volcanos HS/F which get pretty loud. Of course nothing like the Tornado.

I'm using the Thermalright slk-900 with a 92mm tornado. Very good cooling I'll say.

Of course with air conditioning my CPU can get as low as 14C idle. But winter is ahead so I won't be able to use it then.

But with or without it my CPU can do 3600+ no prob. However my video card without AC only does about 512 core overclock. With AC it can do 521Mhz core.

Back