• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Faulty hardware/cpu plz help going broke

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TetsuOH

Registered
well here is the lowdown i am on my third mobo 1soyo 2a7n8x dlx first my soyo bit it then my first a7n8x had cmos issues now i got another but i apparently seem to be having cpu issues when i am running memtest86 i get error no matter what type speed or module size i use generic or brand name and they are always diffrent for each stick but each stick will have the same errors so of course i tried em in another machine they are fine i had my dealer verify the mobo is fine and working i also checked my psu and every other component in my system still get errors so i get the memory and board tested and approved to be ok and the only thing i havent tried is buying another cpu to see if i still get memory errors but the thing is im a pretty broke student and i need my computer for school but i also cant really afford a new cpu so how likely is it that a bad cpu would cause memory errors in memtest86 but seems to run ok at stock settings and speeds even primes all night, and will it potentially get worse also how long does it take amd to rma cpus hopefully not long or i am pretty much stuck with no options but to buy a new cpu any help would really be appreciated as i am really in a bind thx guys

TetsuOH said:
Well here is the lowdown. I am on my third mobo - 1 was a soyo, 2 was an a7n8x dlx. First my soyo bit it then my first a7n8x had cmos issues. Now i got another but i apparently seem to be having cpu issues when i am running memtest86.

I get an error no matter what type speed or module size i use. Generic or brand name and they are always diffrent for each stick, but each stick will have the same errors so of course i tried them in another machine. They are fine. I had my dealer verify the mobo is fine and working i also checked my psu and every other component in my system. I still get errors so i got the memory and board tested and approved to be ok. The only thing i havent tried is buying another cpu to see if i still get memory errors, but the thing is im a pretty broke student and i need my computer for school, but i also cant really afford a new cpu.

So how likely is it that a bad cpu would cause memory errors in memtest86, but seems to run ok at stock settings and speeds even primes all night, and will it potentially get worse also how long does it take amd to rma cpus. Hopefully not long or i am pretty much stuck with no options but to buy a new cpu. Any help would really be appreciated as i am really in a bind thx guys

Please try using punctuation when you post: your post was very difficult to read until I altered it slightly in this quote.

I would try a different CPU if possible. Also try the RAM in different slots. Make sure you arent pushing the RAM too far (ie running at CAS2 when the RAM will only do CAS2.5).

Good luck.

David

yeah really sorry about the punctuation but im having to use a g3 ibook with its super crappy little keyboard and its taking me forever as it is, but yeah all my settings are at stock ran all the sticks at their rated specs according to manufacturer and by their spd settings as well. Unfortunately i have no other cpus to try out and any slot gives errors also my local shop which tested the board said they tested all slots and it was fine they were using a 2800+

TetsuOH said:
yeah really sorry about the punctuation but im having to use a g3 ibook with its super crappy little keyboard and its taking me forever as it is, but yeah all my settings are at stock ran all the sticks at their rated specs according to manufacturer and by their spd settings as well. Unfortunately i have no other cpus to try out and any slot gives errors also my local shop which tested the board said they tested all slots and it was fine they were using a 2800+

Try redownloading Memtest86 - it may be a buggy/incorrectly downloaded version/copy.

Are any other apps affected? Any random crashes/reboots?

Since it is memtest that is having trouble, and you tested the memory and all of the memory slots, it sounds like you have some bad memory or a bad version of memtest. I dont think that the CPU will affect memtest much, if at all, so do as David said and look into re-downloading memtest.

What type of memory are you using, and what are the stock specs?

the memtest is fine i ran it on other machines with the memory modules and i dont have stability issues except c&c generals but that game is so messed who knows if the errors are hardware or the bad code the main reason im concerned is im learning some programming languages and stuff in school and if a cpu could cause errors like that it is possible it could return incorrect calculations and screw with my coding and stuff like that

If Prime95 reports no errors I don't think its a problem with your CPU, I think it can be a specific setup/memtest issue.
The calculations that Prime95, or even any application, game or even windows do will be much more complex than any programming proggies begginers make (believe me I know, I started programming a few years ago as well).
So if they don't fail, no reason for your own programs to get screwed up, or return wrong results

Basically if your system runs fine, and you don't have some weird errors/crashes/freezes/whatever you have nothing to worry about

Back