• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processor killing mobo Bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ryce

Hey guys, got a new Abit NF7-s a week back got it plugged in a new 2500 barton. Nothin. The standby and the green light on the board were both going all fans were turning like crazy but no video, no BIOS.

So I assumed BIOS were DOA and RMA'd the board and got a second one rinse and repeat. nothin. So i start to wonder if its the processor. I take it over to a friend's and swap his 2500 barton out of his soyo kt-400 lite with my 2500 barton.
Nothin.
Won't post with my barton in it. Then we replace his and now HIS board won't post with HIS barton, which was working fine. (everythings goin but no video again)
I've tried resetting CMOS, removing battery, switching out 4 video cards(even a pci one), testing RAM in other systems.

Is my processor shorting out motherboards?
Am I overlooking something obvious?

I'm completely confused, and have eliminated everything i can think of, anybody have ideas?
(Besides treating the computer like the copier on office space)

Abit NF7-S 2.0
AMDXP2500 Barton
slk900u w/ 92 mm Tornado
1024 Buffalo pc3200

you can short a motherboard out with a processor if you happen to get something conductive on the socket of the board.. once i shorted out a 1800xp with AS3 underneath it and it wouldnt boot up after cleaning the AS3 underneath teh chip and on the socket.
Then everything booted up again

Does teh CPU work for definite? I had teh exact same thing happen twice but it was because teh core was chipped.

*edit*
I just re read it and you already said it did. SORRY!

Back