• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S 2.0 SATA RAID -- A few questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tycanadian

Hi there,

I haven't updated my BIOS yet out of the box on my new NF7-S 2.0 mobo, and my SATA RAID0 Raptors are running fine. Do the new BIOS versions improve performance, or just resolve issues? I don't think I have any issues, so should I bother updating my BIOS? I know it's a bit risky, since new problems can arise.

The manufacturer's web site will usually give a brief synopsis of the revisions made by each bios revision. I try to keep mine up to date whether I've noticed any problems or not. I lot of the issues they address aren't something That'd you'd notice until it became a problem. And if you follow the directions, it's not as risky as you think. Just don't unplug the computer during the update process!

I realize it's not terribly risky in terms of not being able to post after the update, just risky in regards to hearing some horror stories on these forums about reduced overclockability and memory issues, stuff like that. I like to have it up to date too, but with my old A7N8X I had a memory issue after I updated and ended up regretting it. That's why I'm looking for reasons for/against updating my NF7-S. Thanks.

I don't necessarily =), but if it will improve performance/prevent bad things from happening in the future, I may want to update it. For now I think I'll leave it the way it is, but please keep posting if you have any input on this issue.

It's updated for a reason, because it's USUALLY always better. People treat flashing BIOS like its a hooker with herpes, if it's newer get it.

Back