• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tbred a or b

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ozzman

how can u tell?

i did a search and also checked the FAQ, and couldnt find a right out answer.. i ask because im going to go buy a xp 2000 today, and if i dont get the B i want to tell them to go back and check to see if they have one, and i want to know what to tell them to check for... buying from frys btw... u know how they have that little locked cage with all the cpus in it, i figure they must have at least 1 tbred B back there..

anyway thanks.. and can someone update the FAQ to add this info so no more posts are made about this topic? thanks.

How to tell if it's a Tbred A or B?

The biggest clue is in the stepping code, if you can see it. Thoroughbred A cores all have ****A i.e. RIRDA or AIUGA. Thoroughbred Bs have a B at the end e.g. JIUHB AIUHB JIUCB. Also by running WCPUID if you are not sure - Tbred A comes up as 3-8-0 and Tbred B comes up as 3-8-1.

oh ok cool thanks.. so in this pick i would ask them for the bottom code to have a b in the end right?

thoroughbred.jpg

and im guessing they are all axda right?

If you have your heart set on the 2000+ and can have code info prior to purchase like you say, this will help you, there are two 2000+ T-Bred B's,
AXDA2000DUT3C 2000+ (Good one, new)
AXDA2000DKT3C 2000+ (Not as good overclocker as the 2000+ DUT3C)

That's why people tend to go for 2100+ B's, because they're all 2100DUT3C.

If you can only get the DKT3C T-Bred B, personally, I would go for a 1700+ DUT3C instead.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222237

well i went there and asked for the

AIUHB

to the clerk, he went back and couldnt find one... so i just asked him to make sure there was a B at the end...

got lucky

i have two axda2000DUT3C
KIUHB 0329

so what do u think any good as an overclockers?

Oh man, this thing should go far. You cannot get that chip with that code guaranteed anywhere.

How much was it and where did you get it.

You know you're going to need to have decent DDR RAM for this chip.

By the way, I think that hard drive is a 5400 not 5700, isn't it?

Post the brand of your power supply.

I got real luck and got a AIUMB from GoogleGear. I hear it should oc far, but I need a mobo.

Does your mobo let you change the vcore,vdimm,fsb,and multi?
It is really annoying doing the wire trick.

Good luck, Cyrix

c627627 said:
Oh man, this thing should go far. You cannot get that chip with that code guaranteed anywhere.

Just wanted to ask you, how can you be so sure that it will go far? I've never heard of that stepping. from my understanding the later the first letter on the stepping code the worse the chip will OC, in theory, I could ofcourse (and hopefully) be wrong about it.

Do you have any links regarding this stepping?

No I don't. I have never seen this stepping.
I have also never seen or heard of a single AXDA2000DUT3C 2000+ doing bad.

All DUT3C T-Bred B's do 2.2 to 2.4. It all depends on the rest of the rig.

While 1700+ DLT3C T-Bred B may be better than 1700+ DUT3C, I would personally choose a higher end DUT3C T-Bred B such as this one over a 1700+ DLT3C T-Bred B.

I would stay away from old AXDA2000DKT3C 2000+. The more recent AXDA2000DUT3C 2000+ should do as well as 2100+ DUT3C which has been around in the US since January 9, 2003. I boght one of the very first ones.
It does 2.3 but I bet you the 2000+ he got would do slightly better.

37(min) C to 46(max) C Winter ; 42(min) C to 50(max) C Summer
Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SK-7 with variable speed 80x25mm YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 350W Antec SmartPower SL350
Five 80x25mm Ultra Quiet 18CFM Case Fans (NMB C3110KL-04W-B19)

I wasn't saying it is going to do bad, I was just pointing out that stepping with a later first letter in the stepping usually means less overclockable, but hopefully this is not the case here.

One more thing, the DUT3C 1700 are just as overclockable with enough voltage, many DLT3Cs don't like voltage being too high, but the DUTs couldn't care less about it, with enough vcore you can reach same speeds with similar CPU production dates. and the power dissipated will be just about the same

c627627 said:

How much was it and where did you get it.

You know you're going to need to have decent DDR RAM for this chip.

By the way, I think that hard drive is a 5400 not 5700, isn't it?

Post the brand of your power supply.

i got it in a combo deal from frys, 70 for the cpu and an ecs board...

im thinking about selling the board since it has no real overclocking settings and i dont know any other way to overclock the chip (if anyone can post some ways that would be great..)

i have sd ram but will soon get some ddr...

my hard drive refurbished 40 gig 7200 now thanks to WD RMA.

and i have a cheapo future power, power supply.. however its let me do about 2.05 or 2.10 (cant remember) vcore on an old athlon so i think its fine...

Forget the concerns over the stepping its a week 29 model so fairly recent and highly likely to overclock well.Personally I dont go for all that A>K>R stuff anyway in terms of position on wafer. Production dates are more tangible.

Back