• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best/Quietest NB cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord09

Hello all,

I'd rather not get a NB waterblock since they're pretty expensive, so I'm looking for a cheap and relatively quiet HSF solution? Any recommendations?

How's the Thermaltake Tiger ? I normally hate thermaltake stuff, but I've heard mixed reviews about it. How's the fan noise?

I'm open to other suggestions, but like to spend < $15.

Also, how critical is SB cooling?

Thanks all..

Dan

You really dont need much more than passive cooling on the NB. A nice size stock AMD or Intel HS will do the job nicely.

When thinking of cooling thing of it like this:

If its warm to the touch, cool it. The applies to system/video memory,nb/sb,mosfets(get kinda hot) etc etc.

I'd just buy some cheapo aluminum heatsink, epoxy it on and run it passive. I'm passively cooling the northbridge with an AMD stock heatsink, without any problems whatsoever. SB cooling does help in some cases, but generally only to help already extreme fsb's get more extreme.

If you have an nForce 2 board and you run higher than 400FSB, you may need to cool the SB as it can get quite hot. I say just stick a fan on the current NB cooler if it gets hot.

the zalman passive heatsinks are as quiet as they get.. though sticking a fan on it would greatly improve performance

Lord09 said:

How's the Thermaltake Tiger ? I normally hate thermaltake stuff, but I've heard mixed reviews about it. How's the fan noise?

The fan is quiet on mine. Hope it stays that way.

The base needed serious lapping though. It comes with thermal tape on the bottom. I removed that, and it was like a moonscape underneath. (Deep saw marks.)

I started lapping with 100 grit, and spent a fair amount of time lapping with 100 grit, before moving on.

I've got a Vantec Iceberq that runs nice and quiet. However, if you took one of the Zalman coolers and attached a quiet fan (or a higher powered fan 7 volted) it would probably outperform any of the other coolers that you could buy. I would recommend doing that, as it isn't too expensive and should cool very well.

Back