• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Investors cheer AMD on hopes for new chips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bruno

UPDATE 1-Investors cheer AMD on hopes for new chips
Mon August 18, 2003 01:25 PM ET
By Daniel Sorid

SAN FRANCISCO, Aug 18 (Reuters) - Advanced Micro Devices Inc. AMD.N shares shot up over 10 percent on Monday following comments from an influential technology strategist that AMD's new line of microchips poses the biggest-ever threat to industry leader Intel Corp. INTC.O .

In comments to the financial weekly Barron's, technology newsletter publisher Fred Hickey said AMD has finally built a line of chips that can take major market share from Intel, which makes the microprocessors that serve as the brains of most of the world's computers.

AMD has for years struggled to gain more than a foothold against Intel despite lower prices and chips that some experts say are as powerful as Intel's. This year, AMD is coming out with two chips, the Opteron and the Athlon64, which it markets as technologically
superior to Intel's Itanium and Pentium chips.

article: http://reuters.com/financeNewsArticle.jhtml?storyID=3295675&type=hotStocksNews

You obviously haven't been keeping up on the Opteron. They can out perform the P4 running 32bit apps. Just wait till they're fully utilizing a 64bit OS and apps. And they are just beginning to ramp them.

Also don't expect to see the presscots that soon, Intel's been having some sort of a heat issue with them, and is pretty much stuck, you should read the front page, Intel are too, in some way, maybe not as deep, but still in trouble

I didn't figure that this good news about AMD would make Overclocker's front page. That's why I posted it here.

It does look like those Prescotts are gonna run hot. I get a kick outa that, w/ all the heat AMD's have gotten over the years about running hot. :D

wow, @2.2gigs that chip looks impressive. A 2.4gig retail version would stack up nicely vs intel.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that an affordable Athlon64 version will perform as well as the Opteron. That's all speculation right now though. We just have to wait and see.

Bruno said:
I'm hoping that an affordable Athlon64 version will perform as well as the Opteron. That's all speculation right now though. We just have to wait and see.

Unfortunetly that wont happen, the athlon 64 is a gimped version of the opteron, and the cheaper version is even more gimped. Im wondering, maybe ill build an opteron system in the future? They do have opteron boards with agp now.

Opteron is the server version of the chip, it's like Intel's Xeon, it's not really made or marketed for home use. The Athlon64 is meant to be the next step beyond the AthlonXP's we have right now and the other one they're coming out with(can't remember the name) is basically the re-introduction of AMD's budget chip(Duron).

The Athlon64 won't have the same on-die memory controller as the Opteron but should ramp as well in cpu mhz, possibly better. You have to remember that the Opteron is a server chip and the Athlon64 is being built and billed as the desktop version.

Let's hope this helps spur sales. A lot of things have to fall into place for this to actually strenghthen AMD's market share. That includes AMD & M$ getting off their butts and getting the 64bit sh*t out there, on the shelves. At an affordable cost for consumers.

the thornton actualy looks like it will perform just as good or even better than actual athlonxps... which have very respectable performance if you ask me...

It always seems like the cheapest chips overclock the best. Let's hope these things kick some a$$. :D

And that goes for the Athlon64's and the Thortons.

Back