• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory frequency

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blasto

Hi there,
this is a newbie talking so pls forgive me for my stupid questions :)
I've gathered up a system based on an asus a7n8x deluxe mobo. Put two pc3200 256mb kingston ram into the slots where they would work on dual channel basis. By default the bios memory frequency is set to 166mhz so I wanted to change it because ram modules are ddr400 and theoritecally they would work with 400mhz I assumed... but there were only 166 and 200 mhz on the list. I think I missed a point at this stage?? Can you give me a clue...
My cpu is Xp 2500+ and working with 333mhz will this be a disadvantage for the system while memory is running with a different frequency? And where can I check the pcb version inorder to update the bios?
Last question about the blue screens: Today when I powered on the computer it brought up a blue screen saying :
registry_error; windows is shutting down to protect your system from a serious error. It was saying a registry error so I setup the winxp again and blue screen was gone. Soon I checked the compatibilty list at the kingston's web site; my ram modules (which are cl3) were not on the list. Would this be the main reason of the blue screen?
Sorry about this long series of questions and thank you for all your helps.

Welcome to the forums

Use caution when making changes in the bios, as some people have killed thier board when making changes. After you make some changes, I have seen my board take about 20-30 seconds to boot up, so don't turn off the power or reset the system. Try to make changes just a couple at a time. Save first then save and exit.

First you should check which rev board you have. You can check this by looking between the pci slots on the mobo, it should be to the right of the model #. You should update the bios accordingly.

Next, depending on rev, you should see if the board can do 200fsb. Most early rev boards cant get there, even with the latest bios update, without a chipset voltage mod. If you have a rev2.0 you should be ok.

You'll need to go to bios and set "system performance' to "user defined'', then you will be able to select fsb settings in 1mhz increments. The board does not like running the mem async with the cpu, so the memory frequency should be set to 100% , cpu and mem performance should be set to optimal, for the time being. Your cpu should handle 200fsb with the stock multi ( if you want to overclock it) with a little voltage increase, about 1.75 to 1.8 should be ok with adequate cooling.

You may also wish to rase you mem voltage to 1.7 to see if it takes care of you blue screen problem. The may be ok even though it's not on asus' site.

Jim

Back