• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

centon memory crap or no?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
they're not your average corsair or muskin ;d usualy sold at retail stores like staples officemax bestbuy =d if you're gonna oc i would prob go with something bettre

Best way to check it, is to go to your local Circuit City, buy the 256MB module for $50, test it on your system, and find out how well it performs. Then if it is what it is likely to be, as in crap, then just pack it back up (like-new) and return it for full refund. If it performs up to your standards, then if you want 512MB, return the 256MB and purchase the 512MB, then send in the rebates.

it is junk...but it works. I put a centon pc2700 512 chip in a computer (not mine) running as pc2100. I figured it was underclocked so I tried to run very aggressive timings. This resulted in prime95 errors and random reboots. I relaxed the timings and now it runs fine, no errors, no reboots. So it will work, but don't expect it to be fast. I would assume overclocking is completely out of the question.

Speed_Mechanic2's suggestion is a good one if your are close enough to a Circuit City for the process to not be a huge hassle. Maybe just buy the part you want, and if you are happy with it keep it and send in the rebates. If you aren't return it.

Thanks guys. I'm just building a new (budget-based) rig and it's just mainly going to be for homework, some CS, and usual web browsing. I think i might get it since it's so cheap. Thanks guys.

well i think the 2700 (no name chips) is crap but i hear the 3200 uses winbond chips so it should be good

Back