• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you set CPU:Memory ratio in neo2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bpearse

I have the Neo2-FIS2R, and cannot find anywhere the CPU:Memory ratio. It seems to try to automatically set it, but it does not do a good job. I want to run at 275 FSB, or 3.3G, but it puts the ram speed at 440 (a 5:4 ratio). I want it at a low ratio, something like 3:2. How do I do it???

I also have the msi neo2-fis2r board and also have had absolutely no luck finding the ratio setting. I can only overclock to 3ghz before my memory gives out b/c it is too overclocked, and thats at the least aggressive dram timing settings. let me know if you figure out how to change the cpu/ram ratio.

Got reply from MSI tech support today on this issue. Bad news: there is NO WAY to manually adjust FSB:Memory ratio on the Neo2-FIS2R. This essentially kills the board for effective overclocking. How can anyone call this an overclocker's mobo when it lack the most basic of all adjustments??

Only way to adjust it appears to be by playing with the weird DOT settings, which produce very unpredicatable results in terms of ratio.

Bob

It's nice to hear that others are having the same problem, not that the problem is nice.

This is an interesting twist.

My first go around with the NEO2 865pe was with 2x512mb Crucial DDR3200 (400MHz) chips with a CAS of 3 and a Visionteck GeForce 4 440 Vid and I was able to get the sys to OC to 2.9MHz (240 FSB) and hold, but when I played Age of Myth I got lots of artifacts.

So I switch to:

Same motherboard, with 2 Corsair XMS 256mb 3500 (434MHz) CAS 2 chips and I bought a ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 128mb and now I can't even hold the machine to a 210 FSB!!! It just reboots and resets the CMOS!

Anyone have any ideas about that one? Should I go back to the Crucial RAM?

well corsair memory is actually from crucial. corsair just means that out of a batch of crucial memory the best chips were hand chosen and then tested and certified at a certain cas. so corsair is really just the best performing crucial modules in a batch.

right now I am running with 1 stick of 512 corsair 2700 xms. I cant overclock more than 300 mhz before the system becomes unstable due to the memory being too overclocked. again this all goes back to the problem of not being able to set the cpu to dram ratio on my 865pe neo. this week I am going to try and sell my memory and upgrade to 1 stick of corsair pc3500 xms, and hope for better results.

also corsair only certifies their pc3500 sticks to run at 2-3-3-7-T1. when you overclock the memory its timing may have to be adjusted to less aggresive settings. you said that the first system was running at cas 3 and the second at cas 2, right there that will make a lot of difference as to how much gain you will get. however it shouldnt cause a 30 fsb degration. i hope some of this was helpful, let me know how it turns out.

Thanks for the info.

That’s kind of what I thought was that it had something to do with the CAS. I will try to work on it and let ya know. How far have you OC'd your NEO2 board and what settings, if you don't mind sharing!

You can set the CPU:memory ratio. In the bios they do not show a ratio but you are able to select a speed. The speed shown is calculated using a ratio. When you change the FSB the memory frequancy will change too acording to the speed you have selected.

In the bios if you go into "Frequency/Voltage Control" you will the "DRAM Frequency" selection. With a 800mhz CPU you have the choise of "266, 333, 400, auto, 500, 532".

I have chosen 333 which has a 5/6 (166/200) multiplier. When I change the CPU core speed from 200 to 250, it gives me a memery speed of memory speed of 208.3mhz (5/6 x 250).

When I left the memory speed at "400" or "auto" I couldn't make it past 210mhz.

Have you guys tried selecting "266" already? Acording to my thoery you would get the 2/3 ratio you are after.

RideGuy

What Verison of the BIOS are you using? The lateset 1.04 has a setting for CAS in the same section as the AGP apigure size, and I have tried it.

Well, after trying to change the CAS on the 2x256mb Corsair XMS PC3500 chips with no luck I have gone back to the 2x512mb Crucial PC3200 chips with CAS-3 and they are working great! So far I've upped the bus 20MHz to 220 with stability and no artifacts in game play. I will keep moving up and post my final numbers and settings when I reach them.

My guess is that the CAS of 3 on the Crucial has more room or tolerance for the OC than the Corsair CAS of 2.

Guys! I just flashed my bios with V1.4 (from 1.2), and now I am having HUGE stability problems. My sound is quitting at 218mhz, and when I had the bios setting "turbo-fast" on it locked up when I tried for 233. This doesn't make any sence. Why would 1.2 be better for OCing then 1.4. I'm going to flash back to 1.2 and see if I can get my good OC back again. This is stupid!

RideGuy

I was woundering about that! I think I will go back as well! There was a 1.3 I wounder how that one did. This is my 2nd Neo2, the first one I tried to flash from 1.2 to 1.3 and it went to never-never land and MSI tech support could not figure it out and I just got Fry's to swap it.

Thanks for the info, I was trying to OC on 1.2 and went up to 1.4 to see if that would help, but I think my problem was the RAM and Video which I have now corrected. So I will try 1.2.

Thanks and good luck!

Ok here is what happend:

1. I flashed my board back to 1.2
2. I started OC'ing.
3. I could only get to 215MHz FSB before the sound cut out and I got artifacts in AOM.

So, what next? This is suposed to be a good board for OC? I like it on the standerd settings, but as an OC'ing board I am not so happy.

FYI: I'm using the onboard sound piped through the SPDIF output to a Creative Labs Extigy.

So now the questions are:
1. Keep trying with 1.2?
2. Live with it at 215MHz FSB?
3. Go back to 1.4 at base settings and use their MAT feature that the Sandra benchmark claims is better?

Have you tried using Core Center instead of the bios to OC? I can hit 250mhz when I use Core Center to OC using Bios 1.2. Rember to set the memory to 333mhz.

RideGuy

I tried setting my DRAM to 333MHz and I loose sound after 215MHz. What sound are you using? Any other settings to worry about?

I've got the NEO2 board and have hit 3.2, but not stable. I run 250fsb stable. PCI/AGP bus set as close to stock as possible. Thats with the DRAM freq set at 333. Havent tried 266 yet. RAM timings in sig below.
cpuid1.jpg

I have a neo2-ls and after reading a ton of forums (anandtech and msi), i was able to get my 2.4C to run 3.2G stable and here's what I done:

bios: 1.5
DOT - disable
MAT - Slow
Dram settings - by SPD
Dram Frequency - 400 mhz = 3:2 ratio (i think 333 = 5:4 ratio, etc)
CPU FSB - 268 mhz
Vcore - 1.55
Dcore - 2.60
AGPcore - stock

I am using a single stick of Muskin PC3000 EL (from my old system) and at 3:2 ratio, it's speed is 179 = 357 mhz

My timings are set by SPD, which is 2.3-3-3-7

Hope that helps. Ran prime95 on that for 2 days now with no problems.

That's awsome Topcat, I wish I had the same luck as you. When I had bios 1.2 I was able to take the CPU to around 250mhz stable. After I went to bios 1.5 it totally killed my OC. I made all the setting changes you did, and yet I could not pass 215 without losing sound.

I got tired of strugling with that board, and I don't like how the agp,pci bus doesn't lock, so I bought the P4P800. So far I have taken my 2.4C up to 270mhz. As soon as I get a new PSU I am going to try and go higher.

RideGuy

Back