• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S not recognizing WD 20 gig.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lance Thornton

Hi all, I need help and fast if you can. I just replaced my ASUS A7V-333 with a NF7-S Board revision 1.2 I think. It will NOT see my perfectly good Western Digital 20 gig hard drive. It sees anything and everything else. Is there something that I'm missing? Thanks in advance for the help.

:mad:

Only things I can think of off the top of my head;

Is the BIOS configured correctly?

Is the jumper on the drive configured correctly?

Have you tried a different IDE ribbon cable?

After that.... does the drive detect correctly when plugged into a different system?

I tried all of that, but to no avail. I figured out that is was the drive itself and that I needed to clip wires #1 and 2 on the 80 connector ribbon cable. Western Digital needs 5 volts to be detected, whereas other drives do not. By clipping the wires, it made the drive appear to the bios. Hope this makes sense.

Lance

That's really odd. I've only used Maxtor's with my NF7-S (a 20GB ATA133/7200, recently upgraded to the 160GB model), but have several WD drives here (most are older, but do have a pair of ATA100 drives (20 and 40GB)). I've never had that problem with them....

How did you figure out to cut wires in the IDE ribbon to solve the problem??

B.

Back