• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UNDERclocking a processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TomaHawk47x

im in the market for a cpu, and i want a flexible one. good overclocking is a must, but it also needs to underclock well too...which cpu can give me the best of both worlds?

TomaHawk47x said:
im in the market for a cpu, and i want a flexible one. good overclocking is a must, but it also needs to underclock well too...which cpu can give me the best of both worlds?

If you do a search, someone posted about Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C can do 1.5 GHz at 1 V.

For overclocking, it is well known that it has a good chance to do 2.3-2.5+ GHz at 1.9 V using a SK7 or SLK-800/900 on air under 60 C.

]-[itman said:
Just wondering, why do you want to underclock?

Well, basically i just want a reasonable computer. for example, the xp 2500+ is 1.83 ghz, but thats too much for me....id underclock to, oh say, 1.2 ghz.

Yeh why do you WANT a slower computer? There is no benefit I can think of. Its not like shifting gears is it, I mean you go fast or slow. Theres no gain from going slower.

Re: Re: UNDERclocking a processor

hitechjb1 said:

If you do a search, someone posted about Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C can do 1.5 GHz at 1 V.

For overclocking, it is well known that it has a good chance to do 2.3-2.5+ GHz at 1.9 V using a SK7 or SLK-800/900 on air under 60 C.
xp1700_stock_1.1v_no_fan.jpg

mine does stock xp1700 speeds (1463mhz) at 1.2v - the board wont boot with anything lower.

*thats right BTW, that really IS 26c full load after 30mins lol

these cpus are extreamly flexible - its nice to be able to run at 2.4ghz, but also be able to turn it right down for complete silence - handy when watching a film for example.

Last edited:
TomaHawk47x said:

Well, basically i just want a reasonable computer. for example, the xp 2500+ is 1.83 ghz, but thats too much for me....id underclock to, oh say, 1.2 ghz.
You can run it at 500mhz.

set your multi to 5x and 100 FSB. Have fun with a 500mhz. hehehehehehehehehehe

How would it be too much for you. Its not like its going to go so fast to where you dont know what the hell is going on. I dont think there is any benifit in underclocking it.

aznchaos said:
How would it be too much for you. Its not like its going to go so fast to where you dont know what the hell is going on. I dont think there is any benifit in underclocking it.
underclock iz good...

Re: Re: Re: UNDERclocking a processor

james.miller said:

mine does stock xp1700 speeds (1463mhz) at 1.2v - the board wont boot with anything lower.

*thats right BTW, that really IS 26c full load after 30mins lol

these cpus are extreamly flexible - its nice to be able to run at 2.4ghz, but also be able to turn it right down for complete silence - handy when watching a film for example.

That is a good applicaton for underclocking, running near silent with very slow CPU and case fans (1500-2000 rpm or below).

When I get my SLK800 setup to run at low voltage (1.0-1.2 V), I plan to test it without CPU fan to see how high the CPU temperature would go.

The only benifit I can think of is heat, and less noise as a result of that.

To say X ghz is too much is kinda silly. I'd say there is one common philosophy here, and it's that X mhz is never enough, even X+1 would is better...and X+1.5 is even better than that. This is even a common thought among 'joe sixpack' as mhz is the only measure of a computers performance they understand.

Unless you have a specific goal of a silent computer, you gain NOTHING by underclocking a processor, at least nothing good. All you gain is more wasted time, and money (both bad things!).

Re: Re: Re: Re: UNDERclocking a processor

hitechjb1 said:

That is a good applicaton for underclocking, running near silent with very slow CPU and case fans (1500-2000 rpm or below).

When I get my SLK800 setup to run at low voltage (1.0-1.2 V), I plan to test it without CPU fan to see how high the CPU temperature would go.
i ran my 2100 without a fan for a week crunching seti at 2000mhz but on water

i broke my fan :) and had to order one

Now, will underclocking the CPU extend the life of the cpu? anyone know? cause i can understand the heat issue and possible quieter ideas. but its your bag, do with it what you want.

Buhammot said:
Now, will underclocking the CPU extend the life of the cpu? anyone know? cause i can understand the heat issue and possible quieter ideas. but its your bag, do with it what you want.
underclock will extend life

better cooling will extend life

what you don't want is cpu to run at high voltages nor temperatures

okiedokie??? HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA

Back