• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK 900U has no effect?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dethshaft

Well today I got my 900U and a Vantec 92mm Stealth so I was really psyched. I lapped my HS with 600 grit, then with some 1500, and I could see my reflection after I was done. So I applied some ceramique to the CPU in a VERY THIN layer(I think there is none in some places thats how thin I put it on) and after runnin Prime 95 I find my system still runs at 60C! Now I have an Abit IS7 which do not read proper temperatures, but this is the same temps I was getting with my stock heatsink. Did I just waste $60? I am frustrated right now so I did not bother reseating it a dozen times plus the clips are a pain in the ***(but I am NOT taking my MOBO out!:) ).

Anyway does anyone have any suggestions on why it still runs hot? I think I might need a better fan, but other suggestions are welcome.

BTW I am having difficulty overclocking my 2.4B past 2.7. I need to at least get it up to 3.0 in order to make up for the blatant showcase of Nubiness of buying the wrong chip!( 2.4C!!! c!!!)

oh yeah, I have 5 case fans so I think my ventilation is adequate

Well it sounds like you didn't put enough thermal grease on. Follow the instructions on Arctic Silvers site. If there is no thermal grease in spots that is a bad thing. Also, that 92mm stealth fan might not push enough air to cool down the CPU very well. If you are willing to buy another fan, try to buy one that pushes more air than the stealth fans. The Evercool 92mm fan pushes lots of air (48cfm) but isn't very loud at all (only 28dB).

The instructions for ceramique say to put a grain of rice sized blob on the cpu. After you've rubbed the ceramique into the heat sink and wiped it off with a coffee filter or something, you put the heat sink on and make a twisting motion to spread it around the core.

You probably didn't get enough thermal compound on or you seated it incorrectly. I'd remove the mobo and use the hard mounting kit personally, but if you don't want to do that, try re-seating it.

1. since you know the thermal sensor is faulty you can't really trust ANY of the readings you get from it

2. i don't think you applied enough goop....

i'm glad i didn't buy the 800u cause having to take the board out everytime would drive me insane

well, you are only using a stealth too. You can't expect great temps from that when overclocked.

yeah the Stealth really isnt the best performer I noticed. I was planning on getting a Smart Fan II but they were a bit overbudget considering the size of the heatsink but I heard the Stealths were some nice fans(although I see maybe not for a CPU). Maybe in a couple of weeks I can pick one of those up. The heatsink itself was warm when I tested it for 6 hours of prime @2.76 so I know it sure as hell aint 61C!:)

Tomorrow hopefully I will not be so anxious and will try to do things a bit more thorough, But I will try NOT to use the screws on the heatsink cause that just seems like a pain if you need to take it off. Plus I have no clue where half the things go thanks to Thermalrights great instructions.

BTW I have only been doing this computer thing for 3 months so thanks for the advice.

lansens said:
Dethshaft, have you considered using MBM5 ? It's free and very easy to use. You can even set it to show you temps on your desktop.

Yep thats the program I am using. I ran into some trouble with the Fan dividers and my system restarting but it seems to be ok now. I still think it takes temps from the same place so it doesnt effect the temps.

EDIT. I reseated the heatsink and reapplied the TC and I did a much better job I feel this time. It looked exactly like the website so I think I eliminated that problem.

One more problem. I am seriously having difficulty finding out which way I need to position my Stealth fan to have it blow air ON the heatsink. I know it sounds stupid but it feels like it gives off the same amount of air on both sides. Weird...

Last edited:
k, Thanks

BTW I am looking at that Evercool and I love the way it looks! If it performs well then I will try and pick one of those bad boys up.

Last edited:
Hey dude, I've had an SLK900U also and like you, I didn't have desireable results and I even had a 92cm Tornado on it using AS3 and all. My case has 6 fans, 3 of which are also Tornados, so my ventilation was good. I was getting annoyed reading everywhere how well it for others. I tried mounting it in every way possible, it just wasn't cuttin' it. So I went out and got the SwiftTech MCX4000 and this time I'm using an 80cm Tornado on it. Man, it does a much better job than my SLK900U. I dunno, I'm gettin' like a consistant 4-5 degrees better while running Prime95. So there you go, there might be some people saying the SLK900U is the best air cooled heatsink, I say the SwiftTech MCX 4000 is the better product, just my experience. By the way about your Abit board, I have the IC7 and temperature readouts were squirly on mine too, readouts should be fixed with the latest bios, mine were fixed.

sbud said:
Hey dude, I've had an SLK900U also and like you, I didn't have desireable results and I even had a 92cm Tornado on it using AS3 and all. My case has 6 fans, 3 of which are also Tornados, so my ventilation was good. I was getting annoyed reading everywhere how well it for others. I tried mounting it in every way possible, it just wasn't cuttin' it. So I went out and got the SwiftTech MCX4000 and this time I'm using an 80cm Tornado on it. Man, it does a much better job than my SLK900U. I dunno, I'm gettin' like a consistant 4-5 degrees better while running Prime95. So there you go, there might be some people saying the SLK900U is the best air cooled heatsink, I say the SwiftTech MCX 4000 is the better product, just my experience. By the way about your Abit board, I have the IC7 and temperature readouts were squirly on mine too, readouts should be fixed with the latest bios, mine were fixed.

I have the latesy BIOS as well but nothing was fixed. It seems like Abit spends most of their time on the IC7 boards. IDK what my problems are. I cannot overclock my system and it runs hot( maybe but we never know). All I want is a cool system that runs at 3.0 Ghz!

EDIT: Well I decided to get myself a Tiger 1 for my chipset and an Evercool for the Heatsink. Hopefully these will help out a little. BTW Does anyone know if the Evercool comes with the right wires to hook up to the 3 pin CPU connector?

Last edited:
Back