• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OEM or Boxed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hoytron

How can I determine if an Athlon is an OEM package or retail boxed? I am fixing a PC for a friend, and Ive determined that the CPU is bad. I want to know if I can send it in for warranty repalcement.

retail chips come with the retail heatsink.. which is needed for the RMA.. now if you have the chip only then you're screwd for the RMA even if it is a retail chip..

You could, but I wouldn't. Just take a picture of what you're sending them. If they get and refuse to give you a hard time about what you send, you have a picture as proof. Most companies don't argue with a picture. Also, you try to get something distinctive about your friends house in the pic. Otherwise they might say it could have been taken anyware.

we'll you know the heatsink is the retail heatsink if it says AMD on the top of the fan ;d thats like the big tip off =d

Back