• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg refurb items

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jarlax

I have noticed a few good deals in the refurbished section of the newegg web site and was wondering if anyone has ever tried them? I feel to worried about it not working and only having 15 days to get it setup and tested. But I am being a worry wort?
A P4C800-Deluxe for 111.00 is a pretty nice deal...

Honestly, I would always go with a factory new motherboard. It is the most important part of your setup, so you really don't want to skimp there. Newegg refurbs usually don't include any accessories either.

most people that i know who buy from the newegg referb section are those whom are looking for a cheap way to make a second, third, or so back-up system... Personally if your looking for something in your main rig... then like matt said go with a retail new motherboard.

Well that is the answer I expected, but I wanted to see what others thought about it. I don't think I could buy it used when it was my main rig, but it was tempting.

Bottom line I would just never feel secure knowing that my gear was refurb. Especially when it is as important as the MB!

You get just the board. It's difficult to know what exactly you'll need--Bought a refurbished Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394(GA-8SQ800 ULTRA2--board has kick-butt features; but no dual-power card for it or the I/O backplate so it wouldn't line up in my case so I'm returning it and getting a retail board.. There's nothing wrong with refurshed stuff from Newegg; Bought quite a few video cards with no problems yet. Not worth getting a mobo w/o all the necessary stuff with it..

It depends on your expectations.
I just got an Asus P4T533-C refurb for 50 dollars. That is a sweet deal considering they are 120 now new. It came with nothing but I don't care. All software I can get from Asus's site.
The board is an upgrade to a newer chipset than the TH7II I have and takes my same RDRAM which I run at the higher 1066 speed anyway. It will support HT so when the cpu prices get in my league for a faster chip, I'll squeak open my wallet once more. I look at it this way, the mainboard I have now is old in comparison and won't last nearly as long as this refurb should because it is still new in comparison. Ordered it Sunday evening, at my door on wednesday afternoon, newegg is hard to beat.

chaos,

Often if you contact the motherboard maker they will ship you the extras (CD, faceplate, etc.) for like $5. So if the motherboard is that good of a deal, keep that in mind.

When I bought newegg refurbs two years ago, most of them arrived in brand new retail boxes. I was thrilled because I had saved so much money. Recently, however, I have had nothing but problems from newegg refurbs. My recent ones have come in a retaped static bag and the products look clearly used. I thought I was saving money at the time of purchase but it actually cost me a lot more money and time in the long run.

In a recent case, I purchased a Soyo motherboard. I have an Antec case without a removable motherboard tray and after I ordered all my parts, I got this motherboard off of newegg refurb section. I trusted it because my past experience with them was great. But boy was I wrong. When I had error after error installing Windows XP I had to go through the process of diagnosing all of my computer parts, to see what was at fault. After swapping all of the components (CPU, ram, hard drive, power supply), I finally swapped the motherboard, and Voila, it worked like a beauty. Remember, the motherboard is hooked up, literally, to every component in your computer. So to take that part out requires a lot of time and is really not worth the risk, in my opinion.

I decided to push my luck again when I saw a refurbished Radeon 8500 from Newegg's refurb section. The 8500's were getting harder to find and I couldn't resist getting one for $45 shipped. I ordered one and when it arrived, all seemed well. When I hooked it up to my TV, however, I found out after much research that they had sent me a PAL version (UK version) of the card which could not display TV out in color on my television (U.S. televisions use the NTSC signal).

So I told myself, never again will I use refurbished products.

It's really up to you what you want to do. I have had great stories and I have had nightmares buying Newegg refurbs. If you ask me, I'd say "Stay away and give yourself some peace of mind." Whether you buy or not, will not bother Newegg or me at all, because many computer builders are out there who want to save a few dollars and take the risk, and I understand how they feel. Is it worth it? It all depends whether you are a risk averse person or not.

I definately wouldn't buy an Abit from refurb.. every brand new one i get dies so i really wouldn't risk a refurb.

Back