• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris C

Registered
Hope someone can help me with this. I have an 1800XP+ with 256 pc2100. I bought another stick of 256 pc2700 ram today. When i open the ram it was 512 not 256 so I was happy. Well I put it in and everthing booted up fine. As soon as I started playing Warcraft3 the game would cut off saying the memory could not "read". So I thought it could be a problem with the pc2700 and pc2100 mixed so I took out the 2100 and the same thing happened. The comp even rebooted itself once while the 2700 was in it. So now I put the 2100 back in and everthing seam back to normal. So here is the question. Is the "read" eror telling me its bad ram? Or is it using PC2700 ram in a 2100 system causing the problem? The FSB is set to 272(I know not much of an OC) and I use winXP. Thank for any help you can give and let me know if you need anymore info.

Could be cheap or bad memory. If I were you I would RMA it. Then again I don't think you can mix two different speeds of memory. What brand memory is it?

Back