• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to purchase Twinmos of Buffalo memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord09

Hello all,

I'm trying to go from 512 of HyperX PC3200 to 1GB of PC3700.

Twinmos or Buffalo seems to be good choices to get high memory frequencies, I don't care much for tight timings as I don't notice much of a performance difference on my 2.4C.

I know newegg and memoryx carry Buffalo and Twinmos stuff. Are there any other places I should look too?

I'm cheap I'll admit, I'd like to avoid paying CA tax if possible...

Also, what does everyone think of the memory sold on Hardcorecooling.us? Any reviews?

Thanks a lot,

DP

Way back when they had it I bought a stick of pc3500 2.0 for 125$. Won't do pc3500 2.0, but at 2.7 volts it does pc3700 2.5 no problem. Supposedly it has v-data 4.5ns chips (but I haven't looked to see). I suspect all their "mystery" 4.5ns ram is the same stuff and they just charge more for the better labels. I also can't say that this wasn't just a good batch of chips and now they are shipping crap... might check their reseller ratings to see what people think recently.

Lord09, what do you have your P4 running at, and whats it
running on currently? Give us an idea of what you have going,
and maybe we can help guide your hand a bit.

Honestly, if you have a good board, I have yet to see a P4 2.4c
not hit 250FSB. I think the best inexpensive mix is good matched
pair of PC-3200 with the 2.4c But then again, that depends on
what your pushing right now, and what your goals are.

Personally I don't feel that running 1:1 ratio with the expensive
PC-3700 justifies the cost, when you can get 95%+ of that
performance with PC-3200.

Just my opinion. I hate to see people jump on the buy more
crap wagon when they might just be a few settings and tweaks
away from processing nirvana!

Hello,

Thanks for the advice. I just see that the price of PC3700 Buffalo RAM is awfully cheap. I'm happy with my PC3200, I just want to upgrade my RAM to 1GB. Rather than get 2 more HyperX sticks, I figure it'd be cheaper just to sell it off and upgrade. Also, its always fun running new hardware.

My P4C is quite decent. I can post at 3.6 with 1.6 V and have it stable at 3.2 with ~1.5V. The problem is that the higher I OC, the lower my mem freq. I can OC to maybe 208mhz and that's pushing it, afterwards I have to use a 3:2 multiplier.

I do think it might be my NB though, since I have an FX 5800 Ultra and the HS is HOT, its hot even to the touch for even a few seconds. The clearance between the NB heatsink and the AGP slot is very small. The NB actually comes into contanct with the HS on the FX 5800, which I think is transmitting a lot of heat. I have a fan blowing on it, but I don't think its enough.

I probably have solved my own problem and that being replacing the the NB heatsink with something that provides enough clearance. My main reason for posting this message was that I just want 1GB of RAM. I've used PC3200, might as well see how good PC3700.

And truth be told, I don't notice a single difference between running at 2.4 ghz and 3.6 ghz. All this OCingt is just FUN....

Take it easy guys,

DP

Back