• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help lapping HS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OcLinNoob

I currently have a zalman 700cu and it seems that the surface isn't to even. I have a few questions on lapping. Do i just grab the hs flip it over and on sand paper do a figure 8? Does it matter what sandpaper i use?

Ok, you need sandpaper, a flat surface and water. If you have a realyl bad heatsink base u need sandpaper grits of 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000. If it isnt that bad you dont need the 400 grit.
You should sand in this order 400-600-800-1000-1500-2000. Omit the 400 if ur not using it.
To lap:
get a flat surface liek a piece of glass or something. Wet sand paper and put it on the surface. Than take ur heatsink and rub it on snadpaper in gentel cirular motions. After about 5 turns rotate it 90 defrees. After you do about 10 rotations move on to your next piece of sandpaper. Keep doing this until you used all the sandpaper in the order above. When your done use 90% or stronger isopryl alchohol to clean off heatsink base of whatever is left.
You have now lapped a heatink. You should be able to see yourself in it now.

Constantinos if you are going to use that many sandpapers and rotate the HS 10times and each rotation having 5circular motions isnt the HS base going to be gone?

OcLinNoob: For better results use a black permanent marker and mark the whole HS base then lap it. until all the black ink has come off then u know its flat. normally a 600 grit is fine to start off with and its not neccessary to go to 2000grit. But remember the more you lap it the less thermal paste u gota use. BTw i like to lap it in a circular motion in the lower grit and when it comes to the high grit sandpaper i like to lap it in a up down motion e.g. 2000grit

Rickster said:
i like to lap it in a circular motion in the lower grit and when it comes to the high grit sandpaper i like to lap it in a up down motion

lol sounds dirty

my slk-900u arrived today and the base is very good, just very small hair-line lines (errr lol) with a kind of fuzzy mirror image, i will take pics and make a thread later since people were worrying about the quality of thermalright heatsinks last week

what grit sandpaper should i start with?

If you are very very very weak like me, you dont use much pressure when rotating so it takes a while to get it were its supposed to be. Also you do a better job if you take your time and not press too hard.

Last edited:
Ace Hardware carries up to 1500 grit. I have tried Home Depot type places and they do NOT go above 800. Also at Ace Hardware places you can buy them one sheet at a time. Places like Home Depot were selling thme in boxes of 25 or 50. At least here in the suburbs of Chicago

The Zalman 7000CU has the flattest base I have ever seen short of a swiftech out of the factory. I have dealt with over a dozen of them, and hand lapping any would harm their performance.

What about handlapping a swiftech up to 2000 grit? I got the mcx462+T but i am not lapping heatsink base casue that is attached to pelt. I am lapping cold plate which is pretty much a copper block inbetween CPU and pelt.

7h3r4py said:

i like to lap it in a circular motion in the lower grit and when it comes to the high grit sandpaper i like to lap it in a up down motion

lol sounds dirty

HAHAAHA i never thought of it that way:p

I just lap the heat sink back and forth with the directional "flow" of the metal, (not circular motions) on 600 grit wet paper. Works rather well for me..

Back