• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

30,000th post again, except with a legitimate question!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Probably not, but there is only one way to find out. Put a heatsink and thermal grease on and test it out. You never know with these things. Good Luck! Hope it works.

Matt

Do a visual check before you put the heatsink on. If it looks bad, I wouldn't use it even if it still works.

My Tbird fried within 3 secs when I relized the heatsink slipped off. It died in a blaze of glory...........looked like it was firing up a cigar b/c I have never seen so much smoke.

As a matter of interest I ran my Via for 17 hours without a heatsink, it crashed twice but it still works :)

Also as a matter of interest yours is not actually the 30,000th cooling post as we deleted many threads during the move and continue to do this with random forum clearing :p

Well, it'll either work, or it won't. I only know one person that powered on his system without heatsinks. But, this guy did it intentionally. Fried both chips instantly. One definately looked burnt, but the second one showed no signs of overheating. No burn marks, nothing. I don't want to scre you or anything, but usually chips will fry instantly if there's no heatsink attached. Hopefully your CPU survived.

Well the reason I'm asking here instead of just testing it out is that I was in the middle of a heavy-duty casemod and my computer is totally dismantled atm. I had a spare psu plugged into the mobo so I could run a couple of UV lights while I spraypainted UV paint, but forgot like a jackass that I hadn't removed the cpu yet :rolleyes:

Well, if it IS dead at least I have a spare (although crapier stepping) 1600 XP laying around from my half-completed mini-pc project I can toss in there......

We shall see when I try throwing it in my new 8RDA+ rev 2.0! ;)

UnseenMenace said:
As a matter of interest I ran my Via for 17 hours without a heatsink, it crashed twice but it still works :)

Also as a matter of interest yours is not actually the 30,000th cooling post as we deleted many threads during the move and continue to do this with random forum clearing :p

That video of a VIA cpu going a dhole day with no sink is awesome. Can't find the link though.

i think it will pull through, when i was installing my watercooling my new shim was really screwed up and there was almost no contact between the core and my waterblock, and it took me about 8 tries of turning the computer on, and watching the fans spin, and then shutting itself down 3 seconds later before i figured out it was a bad connection with the waterblock...and my cpu is sitting here running alright almost 8 months later =D

problem with amd is that they dont always have that feature of autoshutdown if to hot, on them, and boom,, smoking room

( I am sensing that your 1600 is fryed. Just send it to me and and be done with it.) What does the a23 look like? Bubbly toast?

Element-Xero said:
We shall see when I try throwing it in my new 8RDA+ rev 2.0! ;)

i don't know if i would do that. it doesn't happen very often but once in a while a dead CPU can kill a motherboard, i've seen it myself. i would try the CPU on an older (cheaper) motherboard first so if it does kill the mobo then it's not such a great loss.

btw, an athlon can fry in less then 2 seconds with no heatsink... and sometimes it's instant.

Back