• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minor CPU upgrade, reinstall WinXP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mito

I have the xp2600/266 cpu and it'll be changed to the fsb333 version. Do I need to reinstall windows? I believe not.

What's the CPU driver in hardware device list? Is it important?

I don't think you will have to reinstall windows, but why in the hell would you want to switch chips? just up ur FSB to 166 and drop multi to 12.5 and you got a 333FSB version?

no you dont have to reinstall windows. i used to change cpus all the time and i never had to reinstall windows

What's the CPU driver in hardware device list? Is it important?

CPU's don't have drivers.

just up ur FSB to 166 and drop multi to 12.5 and you got a 333FSB version?

No doubt. If your motherboard will support front side bus/multiplier changes, this is the way to go. I have a 2600 and I promise it will work.

You won't have to reinstall windows, but I have had to reactivate XP after a minor (2MHz) FSB change. Nothing major unless you've reactivated more than 3 (?) times, then you have to call. That can be annoying.

MessiahX,

These forums don't take to kindly to talk of software cracks. You might want to edit your post before a Mod does it for you.

Other than that

Welcome to the forums!

Back