• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'burn-in' period for nanotherm pcm+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

login211

so do nanotherm pcm+ temps drop somemore after a certain period of time like with as3?

i was hoping for atleast a 1C drop in temps going from ceramique to N.PCM+ but my temps actually went up

as ceramique temps:
case: 31-32C
core/die: 42-53C

nanotherm pcm+ temps:
case: 31-32C
core/die: 45-58C

this is how i put the nanotherm pcm+ on:
-cleaned the cpu and the heatsink with 99% isopropanol
-applied a drop of n.pcm+ to the heatsink, rubbed it in/spread it around with my finger while i was wearing a new glad ziplock bag
-did the same thing with the cpu core

never touched the heatsink or the cpu core with my bare fingers... i don't know what went wrong...

?

I don't get it really, it seems like many people have many different results from PCM+. AS3 whoops PCM in my p4, but loses severely when in my AMD system. I bought one tube, but after seeing how Nanotherm represents itself on these forums, I would never buy from them again and until they have a winning product by a great margin I urge everyone to do the same (search for thread "Lapping in regards to thermal paste" for more info)

hey login211. I think if you clean it with isoprophyl alcohol its not 100% superb clean cause you had another thermal product before that. best thing is to lap HS and spread the nanotherm around properly in think layer.

infact i polished up my heatsink as i always do before i apply some thermal goop.... 1000, 1500, 2000 grit...

i'm also pretty sure that 99% isopropanol is the highest you can get or atleast at a place like walmart....

i don't know.... i'm going to wait a week and see how my temps are and i hope they drop or else i'll just go back to AS ceramique....

Last edited:
It's important to apply the Nanotherm PCM+ in a very thin coating on both contacting surfaces for optimal performance. Since the PCM+ is a liquid, applying it in a very layer is most easy to do.

BTW, AMD_Me - perhaps you could pm me and clarify your comment about the way I represent myself / products / company on this forum. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts - ;)

I think Nanotherm does a great job of representing his company. He always seems to answer in a polite and thought out way. I will definitely consider PCM+ the next time I need some thermal compound because of this.

if the system is left on conituosly through out the "cure" time, then give it 1 1/2 days, to fill any microscopic grooves or deficencies on the CPU, after that period it should give you its reading... if it is higher than b4 , then sounds like you have put either to much or to little on ....

It's good to "thermal cycle" TIMs after application by running them hot (which will cause thermal expansion of the TIMs) for several hours, followed my a few hours of shutdown (causing thermal contraction of the TIMs). A few "Power On / Power Off" cycles of normal daily computer use / abuse is adequate enough to get most TIMs to conjugate / break-in / cure properly within a 2 - 3 day period.

Back